Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Seroma After Femoral Hernia

2005:
I had a femoral hernia repaired in 2005. Everything went fine with the exception of a seroma in the exact same spot the hernia was. The surgeon drained the seroma with a large needle/syringe several times after I was healed and eventually said that the seroma would not cause any problems and might eventually go away on its own.

2008:
I still had the seroma after almost 3 years. The seroma would disappear at night while I slept but would fill back up with fluid with activity (i.e. walking). I went to the surgeon to see what they could do.

2008: March
I had surgery to remove the seroma. The surgery was unsuccessful and I had almost constant drainage of lymphatic fluid through the incision, thus preventing the incision to completely heal.

2008: June
I had another surgery. This time the surgeon used Fibrin Sealant (Tisseel) and also inserted a drain. This surgery was unsuccessful as well and I would drain at least 250cc of lymphatic fluid a day, more if I was more active. The only positive was that the drain allowed the incision to heal

2008: July
The surgeon removed the drain and applied more Tisseel into the area via the drain hole. One week later I developed an abscess and had to have another surgery to remove it and spent 4 days in the hospital after it came back MRSA positive.

Now:
A little over one week since surgery to remove the abscess and I still have the problem with the lymphatic fluid drainage. The wound is dressed with a Wound VAC which collects about 250cc of lymphatic fluid a day.

I guess I am writing this to see if anyone else has had or heard of a problem similar and if so, what was done to fix it. My surgeon has basically told me that he is at a loss and he doesn't know what else he can do. Any input wold be greatly appreciated as I am not sure where to turn next.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 8th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Hi...Welcome to EHEALTH
I have heard of similar stories but personally I have not experienced this.
Sorry to hear all the stuff you are going through.

Did they put mesh in you as well? From the sounds of it, it sounds like mesh was used as this is how hernias are repaired today, unfortunately not many people are fairing to well with the meshes. If it was mesh do you know what type it was?

What is your surgeon telling you?
Have you consulted with another surgeon for another opinion?

I know this isn't answering your questions, I'll do some research and go through my information I have come across in my own search for answers with my problems. It will take me a couple days as I have appointments tomorrow/today.
In the meantime hang in there and I'll contact another person on here who might have a bit more info for you.
|
Users who thank ^Serenity^ for this post: albertsm 

replied August 8th, 2008
Thanks so much for your reply.

Yes, a mesh was used. I asked him what kind of mesh it was and all he told me was that it was a "composite mesh". After doing some more research I'm wondering if it was a Kugel mesh which I know was recalled about 6 months after my initial surgery in 05. I'll have to find out for sure. From what I've read I haven't had any of the typical symptoms that would indicate that the mesh has failed/broken, but who knows.

All he is really telling me is that he doesn't know what is wrong and that this type of thing should heal...and that he has never seen a a problem quite like this. I am in the process of finding another surgeon to get another opinion. I found a couple that I wanted to see but they don't take my insurance, so I am still searching.
|

replied August 10th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Keep searching for a surgeon who will take your insurance. Call your insurance company and ask for a referral also for a surgeon on your plan.

This needs to be looked into further.

How are you doing today?
|

replied November 10th, 2008
complication
I know of a patient who had a seroma...his surgeon cut both his femoral artery and vein during surgery..he nearly died...then got a blood clot (DVT) in his leg...wonder how common it is to cut both the artery and vein during an inguinal hernia operation? Is the seroma really a seroma or a bulging out of his artery or vein that was porely repaired by a general surgeon?
|

replied April 24th, 2009
Seroma
I had a radical hysterectomy for uterine cancer in 2004. I developed a 9cm seroma that collapsed my bladder. I had it drained.
I developed the seroma again one year later.
Again, had it drained. Both times I went home with a pump in the incision for 3 days.
Now I am having bladder problems again.
I am having pain on lower left side where seroma was. I believe the seroma is back yet again.
Last November I began an exercise program that consisted of walking 2 miles per day. I believe the walking has aggravated the seroma.
Can't win for losing.
|

replied February 5th, 2012
I realize this is an old post, but I am up against the same thing you went through, and I am wondering the outcome of the seroma. Was it ever resolved? I had a radical hysterectomy done in 2010 for uterine cancer. I have developed an orange sized seroma that I have had drained at least 8 times now, cleaned out during a surgical procedure with two drains that went home with me. Now, he made another incision on my abdomen to drain it while the incision is wide opened, and now, it is draining while pressed up against a 1" gauze pad. This has been going on almost 2 years now. Is this a life-long deal now? Apparently it formed when mesh was removed during the hysterectomy. Mesh had been placed there during a previous hernia operation. I'm really aggravated right now, and just wanted to know if your seroma finally went down.
|

replied December 16th, 2012
Sorry, first time I logged on this site in a while. In September 2009 hernia mesh was placed in seroma area. But according to surgical report I had no inguinal hernia. I believe I have autoimmune disease from hernia mesh, and am still having problems with seroma and related scar tissue/adhesion issues almost 9 years later.
Do research. Please do not let them put hernia mesh in the area where the seroma was.
I am now making plans to see a special surgeon for removal of hernia mesh.
|

replied June 6th, 2010
post op seroma
I realise this is quite an old post, but just wondering if you ever resolved the situation. I am going through the same after incicsional hernia repair. Had my abdomen drained several, several times before my consultant decided i was allergic to the origanal mesh. He has replaced ther mesh with a different type. Three weeks post op I still have a drain in situ that is draining fluid at a rate of about 300ml per day.
|

replied April 12th, 2011
Follow-up on your seroma?
Did your seroma ever resolve?
|

replied April 12th, 2011
I found this post after reading everything that I could find about lymph drainage following femoral hernia repair. My 82 year old mother had a what should've been simple femoral hernia repair. During the procedure, the doctor removed 3 enlarged lymph nodes that whe was told were contributing to a bowel obstruction. Since Mom is visually impaired, my 84 year old father now empties her Jackson-Pratt drain every 2 hours 50 ml around the clock. The surgeon is perplexed and offers no answers. Does anyone have hope for a solution?
|

replied April 12th, 2011
Fluid draining following femoral hernia surgery
I found this post after reading everything that I could find about lymph drainage following femoral hernia repair. My 82 year old mother had a what should've been simple femoral hernia repair. During the procedure, the doctor removed 3 enlarged lymph nodes that whe was told were contributing to a bowel obstruction. Since Mom is visually impaired, my 84 year old father now empties her Jackson-Pratt drain every 2 hours 50 ml around the clock. The surgeon is perplexed and offers no answers. Does anyone have hope for a solution?
|

replied June 26th, 2011
I had an incissional hernia repaired in July 10 and I had a drain for several weeks. When the drain was removed I developed a fistula and went on the wound vac for 4 monts and 3 x's a week to the wound care center. In January I had to have the mesh removed as my body could not accept it. I had calf tissue put in and (the suegeon knicked my small intestine) and 8 days later the JP drain fell out and feses leaked into my body cavity and out the hole that the JP drain left. 3 days later the surgery was redone and pig tissue was put in and the surgeon found he had knicked my lower intesting so after 4 1/2 hours of surgery 10 days after the first one in January, I was back on the JP drain. I developed a seroma after the drain was removed and had to have it asperated 7 weeks ago. 35 CC's was removed. I now have to have it asperated again but the Cat Scan shows much less fluid in this seroma. I write this so people can know that things do go wrong when an invasive surgery is performed and it can be a long up hill battle to get back to your ole' self. Good Luck to All.
|

replied January 29th, 2012
Seroma after groin surgery
My wife developed seroma after groin surgery to remove what turned to be a ball of fat, it was drained once by needle. It started to build up again along the incision.Concern of an abcess and they opened it again four weeks after the first surgery and now she is on the jp drain for a week and thankfully no abcess. Daily she drains about 180 ML.On meds for infection. Will she need the JP from now on? Is there hope?
|

replied February 7th, 2012
Yes there is hope, reporting on the above post who is my wife. She had the JP drain and stitches removed after two weeks and M.D.instructed to wear a girdle, she removes it for night sleeping and thank God so far no swelling. Has a couple days of meds left to take. M.D.very hopeful she will get past the seroma. Will report again after a week or more. We do have hope.
|