Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Skin Forum

Serious Lip Peeling Issue

Ive been having this problem for a year now, my bottom lip has been peeling and it seems as if the main skin on the lip is peeling away because the skin after that is dry, scaly and white...when i try to wet it with water it seems as if nothing can make it wet, the water just run right off....i believe that i have an allergic reaction to something but I just want to know if the skin on my lower lip will grow back or its gone?

I you've had this problem or know someone with it and can help me out, please comment and let me know what i can/should I do?

This has been going on for to long and has affected my life in a way...so please leave comments!

Thanks!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 15th, 2008
Advanced Support Team
Hi Ken,

Just out of curiosity, do you use chapstick or similar products? If so, how often do you use them?

I'm pretty sure that skin grows back on it's own if there isn't any serious damange to the underlying layers.

Welcome to the forum...
|

replied September 15th, 2008
Ive used so many things: chapstick, vasiline, a bunch of creams from the dermatologist but nothing helped it...im suppose to be taking a biopsy but im just worrying if the skin is gonna grow back....because the the shinny, glossy skin on the lower lip is peeling off and the skin under thats appearing is really soft an dry.....the lip never bleeds....it just hurts sometimes, only the skin thats peeling....the under skin doesnt hurt just feels real dry.
|

User Profile
replied September 23rd, 2008
Advanced Support Team
how are you doing with that? any improvement?
|

replied March 27th, 2009
Peeling lips
Hello. I just visited my dermatologist for my chronic lip peeling issue. She said it is often due to improper pH balance in the mouth. She recommended I stay away from cinnamon and mint for 3 weeks to see if the situation improves. So no toothpaste (brush with baking soda) or mouthwash, and avoid foods with cinnamon or mint. I've done this for almost a week and already notice a difference. My lips used to peel completely every other day!
|

replied August 16th, 2009
Well you see, I've been picking my lips for 4 years now, of course it's grown back but anyone got any ideas on how I can stop the addiction to pealing them?
|

replied September 28th, 2009
Maybe try chewing gum or when you feel to peel try thinking of what peeling would do because I can say it mess my lip up and part of my life But TERRIANNN Im definitly going to let my dermatologist know what you said because I felt like it was an alergic reaction or something but it just came out of no where. If anyone has a Similar Problem and would like to talk through write me.

Hope to hear from you, Thanks
|

Please see a good doctor right away. I had the same thing on the bottom lip. It turned out to be squamous cell carcinoma. They had to cut it out and do what they call a flap procedure. Don't wait on this. The sooner the better.
|

linkid wrote:
Please see a good doctor right away. I had the same thing on the bottom lip. It turned out to be squamous cell carcinoma. They had to cut it out and do what they call a flap procedure. Don't wait on this. The sooner the better.

Hey linkid with flap procedure, did it leave a scar on your lip?
|

KenBorn, They took a V section out of my bottom lip right down to my chin. They took from my upper lip and sewed them shut for about 2 weeks. I had a little hole on the left side big enough to put a straw through. After 2 weeks they opened it. After it healed a little they did dermabrassion all around my mouth. People were really amazed how good it did look for something so drastic. As I have aged though, my mouth pulls to the right, almost like I have had a stroke. Also there are lines where the dermabrassion was done. I am only 60 years old but I know I look older. I complain and I shouldn't. I was lucky I saw a Doctor that recognized it was cancer. I had gone in for something entirely different. I use to put the creams on and chap stick all that stuff and it would just keep peeling. I cringe when I hear someone say they have a peeling lip that doesn't go away.

A receptionist at my dentist office had it and asked how I knew. As soon as I saw it I knew it was the same thing. She caught it early and didn't have to have the flap done.

Hope this has helped someone.
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and myth...plus who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....