Medical Questions > Mental Health > Schizophrenia Forum

Seraquil and white cell count

Has anyone had thier blood drawn to check on thier white cell count every week for the first six months of dosing? And then if stable the need to draw drops down to every few months?

Thank-you in advace,
Worried Carol
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 16th, 2008
Experienced User
I was on Seroquil once and didn't have any blood drawn. You mean they're doing that to you?
|
Users who thank Philo for this post: CarolDiane 

replied May 16th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Carol,

Do you already have leukopenia? If you don't have a preexisting condition with low white cell count there is no indications for testing with this medication. Is your doctor doing frequent blood cell counts? If so, I would ask why.
|
Users who thank antigone for this post: CarolDiane 

replied May 16th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
antigone wrote:
Carol,

Do you already have leukopenia? If you don't have a preexisting condition with low white cell count there is no indications for testing with this medication. Is your doctor doing frequent blood cell counts? If so, I would ask why.

Actually, I got that information from a well known site and got a little worried because my Doc is not testing me like that. Just MRSA and my white count last took about a month ago was low normal (still flaged) at 51 on a scale of 50-109 I think. Got me a little worried, that's all. I am immune-compromised, yes.
|

replied May 16th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
If you are really concerned ask the doc to order a CBC for you. It will give you an idea where you stand. Better to be safe than sorry but I have not read that you need regular blood draws for this med. I forgot that you have had other health issues that may effect this.
|
Users who thank antigone for this post: CarolDiane 

User Profile
replied May 21st, 2008
Especially eHealthy
People I know on seroquel haven't had these blood tests either. I believe that they recommend it, but maybe they just say that as a avoiding lawsuits kind of thing? I don't know.
|
Users who thank Georgia59 for this post: CarolDiane 

User Profile
replied May 21st, 2008
Especially eHealthy
Oh, I was going to say- if you ask your doc why he doesn't feel it's necessary for you, he will probably be able to either come up with a good reason, or he might realize he was overlooking something important, you know? Either way, I'd bring it up.
|
Users who thank Georgia59 for this post: CarolDiane 

replied May 21st, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Thank-you for the replies. I will ask her on my next visit. She is doing CBC"s but only every 1 1/2 months apart or so. I was concerned mainly due to the fact that this well know site (when you look up treatment etc...) say's it should be monitered after the first dose, every week for the first so many months on it. Now, I do know that when I was on Lithium long ago, that was monitered more often then this. But somehow, this can affect you white count it says and I am already compromised which she may have forgotton. Dunno, but I will check into it.

Thank-you again,
Carrie
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Schizophrenia is a lifelong brain disorder. But how do doctors define it? And is there a cure?...
What causes schizophrenia? And what are the risks of developing this treatable mental illness?...
The first signs of schizophrenia may be difficult to identify. Learn the most common signs and symptoms of schizophrenia and know when to ask for medical help....