Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > TMJ Forum

Sensation in face

Hi, Im Danial 28 years old
I have Anxiety from something from about 1/5 years ago and had diffrent symptom from that but about 3week ago when i use Zoloft for 1 month for my anxiety
one morning when i sit front of computer i feel some sensation in my face
near my right ear and in jaw path usually
and this sensation is not numb or pin-needle this sensation is wierd sometime like some bugs move in my ear or near that in path of my right jaw
when i toch that this sensation go away for seconds and then back
some time i have not this sensation
my other Symptom :
1- some time i hear some crack sound in my ear when i move my mouth
2- pressure to my jaw or gum
3- some time mild pain in my ear
4- neck pain or neck stiff
5- one half headache some times
6- pressure to my nose

is this symptoms related to TMJ ???
espacially weird sensation
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied August 18th, 2010
Hi! Many thanks for your question on eHealth forum!

A weird sensation involving one half of face, near the ear, in the jaw etc can be due to trigeminal neuralgia. Treatment is by antidepressants, anticonvulsants, biofeedback, surgical decompression, vitamin therapy etc. You should consult a neurologist for this.

However since you also hear a clicking sound, it can also be TMJ. You have to press on muscles of your face to look for sore points. To get some relief you can try massaging the sore muscles. Massaging the muscles does not help every one. Also if the procedure is nor correct, then it can further aggravate the problem. Then massage these points with short strokes. To massage the masseter muscles on each side of your jaw, place your thumb inside your mouth and squeeze the thick muscle in your cheek with your fingers. To massage the jaw muscles inside your mouth, use your index finger to probe and massage these spots.

Moist heat or cold packs on the face, vitamin supplements, or biofeedback are useful for some people. Usually people find a method that brings relief by trial and error. Consult an ENT specialist. Hope this helps. Take care!
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our TMJ , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.