Medical Questions > Mens Health > Sexual Health - Men Forum

Semen reddish brown colour

Must Read
Talking openly about the penis is a very personal matter. Learn basic penis anatomy to discuss penile disorders accurately with your doctor....
Penis symptoms that interfere with sexual activity or urination could be serious. Learn the signs and symptoms of penis problems that require a doctor's help....
How do urologists evaluate and diagnose painful penis? A penis disorder is a medical problem. Learn more about possible diagnoses for penis disorders now....
User Profile
I had intercourse with my wife 2 nights ago and upon climax I noticed my semen was a reddish brown colour. I went to see my GP today who checked all my genitals and prostate gland, He was happy with his evaluation, he has requested blood and urine sample.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied May 5th, 2010
Sexual Health - Men Answer A11746

Welcome to the ehealthforum. I am glad to help you out.

What you’re suffering from is known as hematospermia.

The following conditions have been associated with hematospermia, benign or malignant tumors of the prostate, bladder, testes, or seminal vesicles, infections (including, but not limited to, chlamydia, herpes, cytomegalovirus, and trichomoniasis), inflammation of the prostate (prostatitis),

epididymis (epididymitis), or urethra (urethritis), calculi (stones similar to kidney stones) in the seminal vesicles or prostate, polyps in the urethra, ejaculation-duct obstructions.

The treatment basically depends on the underlying cause. Usually a course of antibiotics is given if there’s a suspicion of prostatitis.

Hematospermia is not treated if there are no associated symptoms suggestive of a disease.

Please do consult a urologist for the same as it is not possible to make an online diagnosis without examination. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Sexual Health - Men , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.