Medical Questions > Mental Health > Schizophrenia Forum

Self-induced Schizophrenia Symptoms -- Pet Peeve

You know what ticks me off? I mean REALLY ticks me off?

While there are those of us who have have been INVOLUNTARILY plagued with the natural illness of schizophrenia, a lifetime illness we can only mask and never be completely rid of........ There are those "normal" folks out there who VOLUNTARILY ingest chemicals into their bodies to PURPOSELY experience the very *same* symptoms.

Makes me wonder which group is *truly* crazy.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 10th, 2011
Extremely eHealthy

replied April 10th, 2011
Experienced User
Seriously?
|

replied May 17th, 2011
Active User, very eHealthy
Man, what's up with the ehealth guide?!

You can say something like, I need support because of pain.

And old ehealthguide gives you a message about orgasms and mesothelioma?! That's my pet peeve.

So are we just naturally on drugs?
Or are they unnaturally becoming schizophrenics?
|

replied May 19th, 2011
Experienced User
Yeah, ehealth guide needs to be careful not to incite paranoia in us schizophrenics.

For a second there... I was freaking out, thinking my schizophrenia voices had gotten me preggers via immaculate conception or something.

I guess the point I was trying to make with my post is why in the world would anyone purposely want to experience the things that are so upsetting to us (actual schizophrenics)?
|

replied May 19th, 2011
Active User, very eHealthy
I think that it is because they are unaware, not very wise, and do not percieve things very well.

Curiosity killed the cat right, the cat didn't know though, so it had to be curious in my opinion.

I guess we all learn from experience, quite unfortunate really. Shouldn't it work the other way?
|

replied May 11th, 2015
I'm one of those people and I'm sorry for feeling this way. I'm sorry that I my feelings of envy block out any possibility of sympathy for the pain you experience.

I'll tell you why.

I sent a text to myself in order to have a record of the clearest way I could explain it.

Here's what I wrote:

"When I was obsessed with the occult all I cared about was the otherworldly. I wanted to experience another world more than anything. Those experiencing psychosis actually live in another world. Is there any wonder then why I would feel envious? My obsession with psychosis is related to my obsession with the occult."

I'm a novelty and a sensation seeker. The real world is too boring for me so I look to the sky. Schizophrenics live in the sky. I've got my eyes to the clouds and my feet stuck on the ground. I feel trapped in reality rather than connected to it so obviously the ability to lose touch and live in my dreams would be a relief. I prefer sleep to wakefulness. My dreams are the only place where I get that sense of surrealism that is opposite to the realistic. Even nightmares are a relief. Sheer mortal terror is a relief.

Sorry for feeling this way. Sorry for my insensitive ignorance. This is why. It doesn't make it right but this is why.

And yes I feel guilty for this obsession. I see myself as a monster just as much as you do. That doesn't mean I'm not a monster it just means I know I'm a monster. It doesn't make me feel any different to know that feeling this way is wrong.
|
Tags: symptoms, ticks
Quick Reply
Must Read
Schizophrenia is a lifelong brain disorder. But how do doctors define it? And is there a cure?...
What causes schizophrenia? And what are the risks of developing this treatable mental illness?...
The first signs of schizophrenia may be difficult to identify. Learn the most common signs and symptoms of schizophrenia and know when to ask for medical help....