Hi, i'm 22 years old and just had a baby this past June. Ever since I had my baby I have been struggling with depression and how I see myself. I really don't know if its me myself or the fact my husband doesn't say I'm pretty or such and rather look at other woman. He has gone as far as telling me other woman are pretty (people we hang out with). Everything from woman on tv to people we pass at the store tear me to shreads. i've been thinking about getting help but my husband finds that stupid. Before I was pregnant I was 115lbs and had a very nice body. Right now I weigh 128lbs and work out everyday I came out of this with stretch marks and a c-section scar. Which I don't regret at all because I have a beautiful baby boy because of this. But ever since I haven't been recieving compliments from my husband I go as far as caking on make-up and using self tanners. I just feel so unpretty and lonely. I'm a stay at home mom in a very very small town. We just moved here and I have no friends. I feel isolated from the outside world. I really unsure if this is further depression or something wrong in my relationship?
How should I seek help with this?
How to improve your self image after having a baby?
Are these normal feelings after having a child?
I guess I just need advice on how I can feel better.
Thank you for reading this.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 27th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
Post partum depression may occur soon after delivery or up to a year later. Most of the time, it occurs sometime in the first 4 weeks after delivery. So, I think what you're going through is normal! Smile

The treatment for depression after birth often includes medication, therapy, or a combination of both. There are several types of antidepressant medications that may be given to breastfeeding mothers. Participating in support groups may be valuable, but should be combined with medication and formal psychotherapy. Medication and professional counseling are often successful in reducing or eliminating symptoms. If left untreated, post-partum depression can last for months or years, and the potential long-term complications are the same as in major depression.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/ar ticle/007215.htm

Do you know where you can go to seek social services? I'd suggest that you start with the local library and learn about your area...ask a librarian perhaps for the county health department contacts, and start there. You might also seek help from a social worker who can identify services and help for you. Please let us know how it goes!
|

User Profile
replied February 25th, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
This is common after having birth to baby.
You would need regular exercise and life style modification to maintain physique.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Postpartum and Postnatal , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.