Medical Questions > Mental Health > Self Injury Forum

self harm while sleeping

what should someone do, when they discover they are self-harming (cutting) while asleep?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 22nd, 2009
Go to the doctor. Your sleep walking. Many people do strange things while they sleep walk, although yours is more destructive them some. Tell the doctor you sleep walk and self harm while doing it. They are things that can help sleep walking.
|

User Profile
replied May 24th, 2012
im cutting and burning myself in my sleep while i am dreaming it
okay i dont know that i am dreaming but i have dreams that my family and friends are cutting me and burning me, they feel so real! and maybe now i know. when i dream these things i wake up with cuts and burns on my arms. just the other day i woke up to myself cutting my own hand. the dream was i was having a doctor take a worm out of my hand. and another insedent is when i woke up with a safty pin stuck threw my arm and was poking out the other side. how do i stop this?
|

replied May 24th, 2012
You should talk to your primary doctor because you could end up hurting yourself badly ( if you haven't already. ) Meanwhile make sure you are keeping up with your sleep hygiene that will help, but u should still go see a doctor.
|

User Profile
replied August 18th, 2009
Experienced User
sure..........u do
|

replied September 3rd, 2009
Does it have to be cutting? Or can it be like bruises or swollen ankles?
|

replied January 20th, 2011
self harm during sleep/ sleep walking
ive just woken up with cuts/scratches on my right hand and the inside of my left forearm...i think it must have been made with a knife or razor and now im too terrified to sleep. im constantly jumping at the smallest noises. What should i do
|

replied January 21st, 2012
I have had problems with self harming during sleep since I was 1(my mother had to put socks on my arms and such).
I thought it had stopped (it only occured a few times out of the year); but I woke up after lucid dreaming (very vivid...often paired with REM behavior disorder and sleep deprivation) this morning with scratch/bruising on my arm. I am a therapist with zero history of self harm while awake. I do feel it is caused by many different/individualized factors. (physical illness, some medication, stress, poor diet, excessive smoking, sleep disorders, sleep deprivation, depression etc.)
Please don't let anyone make you feel bad about it, you do not have control of it. It has been 6 years prior to this morning since my last episode: (things I have done that help)
1. Make your nails very soft
2. Remove objects
3. Take care of yourself during the day (you need sleep adequate amounts).
4. Find ways to relax before bed(no tv 30 prior to laying down, meditation, bath, keep room clean/relaxing, music, dont eat after 8pm, reduce smoking? Drinking? etc.)
5. By a book about how to get a proper/individualized sleep pattern...very very good 11.00 new
also shows formatting of sleep journal ( title:
promise of sleep...)
6. Don't feel bad about it, accept that it happens to you and many others
7. Seek help if it is getting worse, you need to protect yourself,

I hope this helps.
Also: I stayed up late last few nights (sleep deprivation), had a vivid/lucid dream/nightmare; this time I do feel it was the sleep deprivation that triggered my episode.

Sleep well, Gracie
|
Tags: sleeping, asleep
Quick Reply
Must Read
Minor and more serious burns account for over 2 million doctor visits each year. But what is a burn? And what happens to the skin when it gets burned?...
Why are children at risk of burns? And what agents can cause the skin to burn? More on causes of skin burns and risk factors you can avoid here....
When should you seek medical help for a skin burn? We review common symptoms of burned skin as well as symptoms of airway burns here....