Medical Questions > Mental Health > Self Injury Forum

Self Harm - Hitting Myself

Hi All,

New to this forum and looking for help. For the last 6 years when ever me and my girlfriend have argued if I am not able to get my point across I self harm.

This first started with punching myself in the head but has slowly got worse overtime, to whipping my legs with a belt (bruises can be hidden)then this weekend I smashed a glass on my head and cut my head open with a plug. I try to stop myself from doing it, but I just cant control the emotion and it just takes over.. Afterwards I feel so ashamed and will sit in my room sobbing and wondering how I got into this state.

Ive had enough and its gone so far that I finally took the step and opened up to my mother about what I do, and have also seen my doctor who gave me tablets and a leaflet to call someone to talk to.

I thought I was doing ok but this morning, me and my girlfriend had another argument, I haven't hit myself but I just feel really emotional.. cant be bothered to get out of bed and go to work.

I suppose I'm joining this forum to get help and people to talk to. Overtime I have lost contact with all my friends and have no one that I can just realise all my worries to. I don't want to put anymore pressure on my family as it must be hard enough finding out your son self harms, and it seems like my girlfriend doesn't want to know as when I've asked for help she turns me away.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 25th, 2013
Hello there! I am very sorry to hear your story. I too self harm in a very similar fashion. I am here if you ever need to talk about it. Do not be ashamed. It is more common than you think. I think all you need is someone to open up to, who won't fight you or chastised you. It gets better, I promise. Once you open up, those urges will slowly go away. This forum is a good place to start, but none of us are professionals. I would look into therapy, but only after I try to sort this out myself. Please feel free to message me anytime. I will get back to you as soon as possible.
|

User Profile
replied September 25th, 2013
Hello there! I am very sorry to hear your story. I too self harm in a very similar fashion. I am here if you ever need to talk about it. Do not be ashamed. It is more common than you think. I think all you need is someone to open up to, who won't fight you or chastised you. It gets better, I promise. Once you open up, those urges will slowly go away. This forum is a good place to start, but none of us are professionals. I would look into therapy, but only after I try to sort this out myself. Please feel free to message me anytime. I will get back to you as soon as possible.
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Minor and more serious burns account for over 2 million doctor visits each year. But what is a burn? And what happens to the skin when it gets burned?...
Why are children at risk of burns? And what agents can cause the skin to burn? More on causes of skin burns and risk factors you can avoid here....
When should you seek medical help for a skin burn? We review common symptoms of burned skin as well as symptoms of airway burns here....