Medical Questions > Mental Health > Self Injury Forum

Self-Harm free for a year

User Profile
Hi,
Im 19 years old and gave up self injury a little over a year ago (january 09 to be exact), although I have had a couple of minor slip-ups since then.
I did it since about 2003 and gave it up to prove a point to a psychologist I was seeing at the time. In my stubborness to prove to her that I could give it up if I wanted, I stopped seeing her because I didn't know how to ask her to extend the medical referral through my GP for medicare payments to allow me to keep seeing her. She was the best psychologist I have ever been to and in the end I had begun to trust her (which was a little too late).
I have been just hanging in there with the whole 'no cutting' thing for a few months and thought that I had finally begun to get over it. But just recently the feelings and need to cut have been getting extremely strong and I never learnt how to get past the feelings. I'm kinda at a loss of what to do and need a little advise on which path I should take (none of which include self injury, I am determined that I am not letting it back into my life).
Should I see someone, or should I just somehow shut the feelings off and get on with life?....
thanks for reading. Smile
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 5th, 2010
Supporter
Honey I just saw your post..I hope you talk to someone..Do things that keep our mind active..Read, write, walk, talk but shutting down your feelings will only make them boil over someday and you don't need that..k
|

User Profile
replied March 6th, 2010
Thanks kdlee.
I did reach out to a past teacher to ask for advise on how to get some help, but part of her reaction made me think it was the wrong move.. And now I feel extremely guilty for dumping stuff on her. I put on my best big girl smile these days so that she thinks it was just me 'having a bad week'.
I did however, make an appointment with the counsellor where I attend and went to see her about strategies and stuff and to give get some sort of help. But upon walking in to see her she informed me that she is going to be one of my teachers (as of next week) which prettymuch was a 'no way in hell' of me telling her anything now.
But I've joined the gym and I get to bash my personal trainer up. So thats a bonus I guess.. lol. Very Happy
|

User Profile
replied March 7th, 2010
Supporter
Ahhh see there is a way..ha ha..Never thought about bashing the personal trainer..That you have joined a gym is great..Another person I write to on here runs..You each have learned that the adrenaline of pushing yourself in the gym far surpasses the cutter way..A different form of abuse but one that physically makes you stronger..
Hey don't stop talking to your councelor..Get it all out so that you will be drained of the poisonous thoughts..k
|

User Profile
replied March 7th, 2010
Haha. yes. Its quite refreshing to be able to bash someone and not get your head bitten off Smile
I am hopeing to be able to run when something bothers me, I'm working my way up to it.
And yes, it is indeed another form of abuse... but then again. It is socially acceptable, so can't be that bad now can it? Razz
She technically wasn't my counsellor... was hoping she would be. But I will look for another one when its absolutely a must.. For now I will avoid telling this 'teacher' anything that is not a must/ need to know.

Luck with everythng kdlee Smile
|

User Profile
replied March 7th, 2010
Supporter
AAh honey thank you..I am happy you will be getting a councelor someone that is there when the need is heavy..I am here if you ever want to PM me..I will check in more often now ..God Bless..K
|

User Profile
replied May 29th, 2010
I love living in a small town. There are no services to go to.. I ended up going down to headspace, only to be told that I didn't qualify for their services (I'm aparently too fooked up for them) and I can't find any other services that meet my criteria (age and stuff).
Oh the joys. lol Smile
|
Must Read
Minor and more serious burns account for over 2 million doctor visits each year. But what is a burn? And what happens to the skin when it gets burned?...
Why are children at risk of burns? And what agents can cause the skin to burn? More on causes of skin burns and risk factors you can avoid here....
When should you seek medical help for a skin burn? We review common symptoms of burned skin as well as symptoms of airway burns here....