Medical Questions > Mental Health > Self Injury Forum

Self harm and older sufferers

I started cutting when I was 13. I'm now just shy of 28 and while I don't cut often like I used to, I still struggle with the urges and cut from time to time. Sometimes I actually want to cut and not try to fight the urges.

Are there older people that cut or are in the same position as me? I always figured that at some point I would "grow out" of cutting?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 31st, 2016
Experienced User
Hey, I started self harming when I was 9 I am now 26 and I too still have the urge to cut. Everyday is a struggle when you do overcome the urge you should reward yourself because believe me it's hard to resist the temptation. Sometimes I look at various objects and think I wonder what that could do but I don't ever act on it. Keep saying to yourself - I'll get to that later and keep yourself busy I know it's easier said than done but if you ever need to talk .. I'm here

Take care
Sponge
|

replied November 11th, 2017
Hey my name is Chloe I started cutting when I was 14 I’m now 16, I’ve had a pretty messed up life I have friends that support me and help me get through things but sometimes I just don’t feel like it’s enough. my Mum and dad or any of my family don’t know about my cuts I haven’t let them because I find it so hard to explain . If they ever do find out I need a good reason to tell them why I have them because I’m not ready to tell them why I have actually done it . My cuts are on my leg and every other weekend I go round my dads and sometimes he likes going swimming and I don’t want him to see them at all I just feel like a failure all the time and I did stop for a while but every thing got to much for me so I started again . My legs are the only way I can hide it pretty much because I always wear vests and shirts but I just don’t know what to do anymore if any of you guys have suggestions please say them , thankyou xxx
|

User Profile
replied July 31st, 2019
Hello and welcome to EHF !

I went through your query and i understand your concern.You need help for your borderline personality disorder. Your doctor will do some psychotherapy and behavioral therapy sessions for further management.

Take care
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Minor and more serious burns account for over 2 million doctor visits each year. But what is a burn? And what happens to the skin when it gets burned?...
Why are children at risk of burns? And what agents can cause the skin to burn? More on causes of skin burns and risk factors you can avoid here....
When should you seek medical help for a skin burn? We review common symptoms of burned skin as well as symptoms of airway burns here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Self Injury , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.