Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hair Loss, Hair Disorders Forum

self diagnosed myself with keratosis pilaris

User Profile
I've self diagnosed myself with keratosis pilaris after some research. I believe I've got a servere case as it is other areas besides my arms and legs. I'm wondering what to treat it with that I can purchase without seeing a dermatologist. My insurance won't cover the visit/treatment, which I would consider if the over the counter products don't work. I'm looking for a soap/body wash, moisturizer, and exfoliant. I would also consider myself as having sensitive skin. Please advise, thank you!

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied August 7th, 2012
Hair Loss, Hair Disorders Answer A37800

Welcome to ehealthforum and thanks for writing

Since I am not observing the affected area I am not aware whether it is keratosis which can be ruled out only by clinical evaluation.It is a harmless condition but is more common in people with dry skin.The symptoms are small bumps which feelike sandpaper and are reddish or pink in colour.

Initial treatment is with creams as Urea which contain glycolic acid,salicyclic acid.If that does not help then Hydrocortisone which is available OTC can be applied at night for 5 days.Avoid using any new cosmetic product.If the symptoms are persistent consider visiting a Physician for evaluation.

Take care!

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Hair loss affects more than half of the population by age 60. Start here for basic info on hair loss and types of hair loss that doctors can diagnose....
What causes hair loss? Read on for a complete list of possible causes so that you can evaluate and identify hair loss causes....
Do you know the early signs of hair loss? And when does hair loss require medical attention? Get better results for treating hair loss by identifying it early....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hair Loss, Hair Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.