Medical Questions > Mens Health > Prostate Forum

Seeking suggestions for prostate other than surgery/presc.meds

I've had BPH for about 4 years. It doesn't really affect me during the day...no frequent urination, trouble evacuating, etc.

The one thing that bugs me is getting up every night to urinate. It wouldn't be bad but I have a hard time falling back asleep...sometimes hours...occcasionally not at all.

I'm taking melatonin supplements but they don't work great. I always wake up unless I take Ambien, which I don't want to do more than once a week since it's habit forming.

I take Prostate 600+ or whatever it's called (saw palmetto, etc.) but it seems that supplements have little, gradual, or no effect.

I'm curious if anyone knows of a good way to sleep through the night. If it's a sleep aid, that's great. If it's something that reduces BPH-related-waking, that's great too. I would just like to sleep better Smile
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied February 2nd, 2015
Thank you for asking
I read your question and I understand your concern. Prostate hyperplasia is a challenge in old age and it needs a lot of management from diet and lifestyle to medications and if need be surgical intervention.

The thing which works like charm is avoiding water and fluids or beverages of any type after 3 pm.

Saw palmetto and vegetable diet woth less cholesterol and fats work too. Some time a person needs more than that. Try visiting a urologist and let them do a complete prostate exam and assess the severity after which management plan will be advised.

I am sure it will be conservative and you will respond to it.

I hope it helps.
Take care.
Khan

|
Users who thank Dr Shafi Ullah Khan for this post: celife 

replied February 3rd, 2015
Dear Dr Khan

I am 69. I have a PSA question: on 1 December 2014, immediately after a UTI incident that led to urinary retention and use of catheter for a week, my PSA 'must have been sky high' (according to my urologist - PSA reading not taken though). After antibiotics etc, the catheter (which gave me infection/blood in the 9 days I wore it)was removed, normal urination resumed and I am fine now. On 22 Jan 2015 my PSA reading was 7.4.

Would I be correct in assuming that, as my PSA was reduced from 'sky high' to 7.4 in 10 weeks, then in 13 weeks, 15 weeks, 17 weeks etc the likelihood is that it will come down a little further every two weeks?

As a general question how long after UTI / urinary retention / catheter does PSA come down to usual levels and stay there?

(As background information, I should mention that in 2007 after a UTI incident my PSA level was 18.5. Then after antibiotics all was ok and within 17 weeks it came down to 4.3. I had my PSA checked again in September 2014, it showed 5.4. My GP wasn't concerned).

Thank you very much

Jeremy
|
Tags: Cholesterol, Diet
Quick Reply
Must Read
Millions of men experience prostate problems every year. But what defines prostate enlargement and how does the prostate grow as it enlarges?...
What puts a man at risk of having an enlarged prostate? And what causes the prostate to grow in the first place? Answer your questions here....
An enlarged prostate rarely occur before a man is 40. Learn the signs and symptoms BEFORE they occur. And know when to seek help for bothersome symptoms....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Prostate , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.