Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Broken Bones Forum

seeking advice for tibia fractured

Hi,
My right tibia is fractured a month ago.. And did operation by a surgeon. He put an iron like Cliff inside the leg to join the broken bones. So how long it will take to rejoin the broken bones? And could i be walk properly after the joining of bones
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 25th, 2014
Experienced User
Hello Davidhok. I'm wondering if you are referring to an "IM Nail?" Not sure what an "iron like cliff" is?

the average time before significant improvement is noted would probably be around 3 months out. This also depends on how sever the break/s are, or where they are located?

I had very displaced breaks; along with massive nerve, and tissue damage. So after 14 months, I'm still dealing with pain, and difficulty walking.

There are some people after 6 essentially back to where they were before they broke their leg. Honestly there are so many variables of healing time.

If you want to make sure to do everything you can, I would advise if you smoke... quit, and take vitamin D and calcium supplements!

Good luck!

~Becca
|

replied July 26th, 2014
Thank you very much Becca for ur advices. Yeah that is IM Nails which are joiningjoining
|

replied July 26th, 2014
Thank you very much Becca for ur advices. And yes that was IM nails not iron cliff. Hope its healing so far....
|

replied July 26th, 2014
I had a spiral fracture of the tib/fib on December 1, 2013. I opted not to have surgery (against the docs advice) and go the cast route. 8 months later, I only have a little pain left in my foot when I walk. For me, it took about 8 weeks before there was any sign of new bone growth...and that was just growth, not healed by any means. Your age and where the break actually happened and how bad it was makes a difference regarding new bone growth. It was 7 months before I was walking without a limp. Hopefully yours wont take as long to heal but compared to others on this forum, I consider myself to be "back to normal" much faster than many others.
|

replied July 29th, 2014
My doc just took an x-ray and he said that it shows the sign of healing. Im taking the medics regularly by docs advice. Its extremely hard to live like a baby in the bed for months. This is the weakest life living by broken bone peoples.
|

User Profile
replied August 6th, 2014
Experienced User
@Davidthok! I know where your coming from. I'm 14 months out, and so frustrated with where I'm at. I have to go back in for another surgery in 1.5 weeks =( So my friend I sympathize!

Wishing for quick healing!!

~Becca
|

User Profile
replied August 8th, 2014
Hi there. I suffered a trimalleolar fracture June 6. I am WB now but with extreme pain and severe swelling. My docs don't seem alarmed though but I am. Pain and inflammation is not good. All I can say is be patient, be good to your self, go easy and let time heal. Easier said than done. Ive always been self reliant and having to ask for help for all the little things is beyond hard. I just wish had concrete answers. Good luck to you!!
|

replied August 10th, 2014
Good luck to u too Becca. And yeah i believed its healing very fast.
|

User Profile
replied August 25th, 2014
Experienced User
Thanks Davdithok! I had my tibia nail removal 6 days ago, and for the most part went really well! I'm able to walk on my leg; still using crutches for support, but I'm hoping things will finally get better!

How are you doing now?

Beca
|

replied August 29th, 2014
Aww... Sounds great. Hope u have no more pains to deal with. Glad to hear u walking again with ur legs.
And yeah im with the cast route. And was told to walk with the crutches for four months.
Good luck.
--david--
|

User Profile
replied August 29th, 2014
Experienced User
Thank you! I got my nail back from my doctor yesterday at my post-op follow-up. Pretty cool to think that was in my body for almost 15 months!

Becca
|

replied August 30th, 2014
Alright then be carefull with the legs and stay out of any troubles which can make u bone broke.
Tired extremely to wait for months fren.
Dont even know how long I would be with the assistant.
Be safe.
--David--
|

replied September 24th, 2014
Completed 3 months of surgery. I was told to walk with or without (if there is no pain) the crutches. So tried the without one for 50 metres twice a day. And it doesn't feel any pain on the fractured point. Is this normal or should i wait for another month?
-david-
|

replied May 10th, 2015
Hi.

I've had a car accident last feb. 2011 and had transverse or severe tibial shaft fracture. I had cast, external fixator and bone grafting but still there is a big gap and have poor healing. Can someone give me an advise on what to do especially nonsurgical treatment.
|

User Profile
replied May 14th, 2015
Experienced User
Cherry01 - To promote healthy bone healing, I recommend taking calcium and vitamin D tablets! Make sure if you are smoking, that you quit, or at-least try to cut back. Smoking takes away from the healing, and the blood flow to the leg, isn't as great to begin with, so doing this is essential for healthy bone growth.

Because it's been so many years, have they done any types of testing on this? There are other ways to help such as; a bone stimulator - which is a non-surgical method. But I'm almost thinking at this point in your healing, it might be necessary to do a bone graft, or if there is hardware like the IM nail, you might need them to either take screws out, making the leg take on the load, versus the nail. Placing stress on the fracture site can actually promote quicker healing than having the nail take the load.

Not having a lot of info makes it a little tricky to answer this completely, but I'm hoping this info will at least give you something to try? Good luck!

Becca
|
Quick Reply