Medical Questions > Mental Health > Schizophrenia Forum

Seeing shadows and hearing noises in shower

I've recently realized that in showers I see shadows and a feeling comes over my body and I start to cry. I feel scared and my chest hurts. Also I hear noises like footsteps, drawers opening and closing, etc. What does this mean?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 7th, 2015
Let me tell you, I am glad that someone has and understands what I've experienced in the past. When I first got real sick with paranoid schizophrenia, I begin hearing and seeing different things. I would cut showers short and sometimes even ditch rinsing the shampoo out of my hair because I would hear voices and see dark shadow figures that scared me so much. It didn't matter how many times I would rip the shower curtain back to check if anyone was there, nothing ever was there. I also figured out that certain noises such as a bathroom fan, the AC or heater running, or a dishwasher can really not help when your trying just even to take a shower. I learned that showers were just not going to work so I started taking baths instead. But it's been about 7 years since I had that problem and needless to say I take showers now and don't even think to second guess myself that I will never take a bath again. I'm in a remission with my illness as my doctor puts it. Medicine can help for some which is why I can live a stable and healthy life. Sometimes the paranoia can trigger the anxiety and vise versa. Talk to someone who can help you and will even just listen and won't judge. your problems are fixable just hang in there. Have faith.
|

Let me tell you, I am glad that someone has and understands what I've experienced in the past. When I first got real sick with paranoid schizophrenia, I begin hearing and seeing different things. I would cut showers short and sometimes even ditch rinsing the shampoo out of my hair because I would hear voices and see dark shadow figures that scared me so much. It didn't matter how many times I would rip the shower curtain back to check if anyone was there, nothing ever was there. I also figured out that certain noises such as a bathroom fan, the AC or heater running, or a dishwasher can really not help when your trying just even to take a shower. I learned that showers were just not going to work so I started taking baths instead. But it's been about 7 years since I had that problem and needless to say I take showers now and don't even think to second guess myself that I will never take a bath again. I'm in a remission with my illness as my doctor puts it. Medicine can help for some which is why I can live a stable and healthy life. Sometimes the paranoia can trigger the anxiety and vise versa. Talk to someone who can help you and will even just listen and won't judge. your problems are fixable just hang in there. Have faith.
|

|

|

|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Schizophrenia is a lifelong brain disorder. But how do doctors define it? And is there a cure?...
What causes schizophrenia? And what are the risks of developing this treatable mental illness?...
The first signs of schizophrenia may be difficult to identify. Learn the most common signs and symptoms of schizophrenia and know when to ask for medical help....