ok, my girlfriend of 4 years is 36 years old, has had 7 natural born children. soon after the last child who is now 8 she had her tubes singed shut. she was married previously for 18 years to the same man since the age of 15. has a history of drug abuse and domestic violence but is not a violent person. of that out of the way here's the problem. precisely 2 days before her period every month her mood takes a drastic change. her memory is normally bad but for the 7 days its extremely bad, along with her whole demeanor and attitude. she starts lying about things, which creates fights. to give you a very good example and its not exaggerated at all. she has faithfully moved out of my house every month for 13 months within her menstrual cycle. were talking fully packing her belongings and gone. and the thing that bothers me the most, is where she usually ends up. and its rarely the same place twice in a row. if i wait 3 days and make no contact. she will usually make an appearance claiming she forgot something. her way of coming back home. durring the rest of the month she is absolutely the best. she captured my heart with who she is. but unfortunately my heart is having a hard time accepting these episodes. and mainly because following them she can see where she went overboard and will admit it. but the next month and bam. it like the previous month never happened. its sad the fact that its become the only thing consistent about her anymore. she refuses to seek treatment, shes afraid of what they might find. and feels just having to take medication would screw her up mentally. which i saw with my ex wife. this girl meets the world to me, there is nothing i wouldn't do for her. but these episodes are getting worse. i'm afraid if she doesn't seek help soon, i'll need to get medicated. any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 10th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
It is possible that your girlfriend is experiencing a PMS (premenstrual syndrome), condition, usually, manifested with a collection of physical, psychological, and emotional symptoms (the three most prominent symptoms are irritability, tension, and unhappiness), related to a woman's menstrual cycle and hormones fluctuations during that period.
Acctually, she may suffer from the most severe form of PMS, known as premenstrual dysphoric disorder (tension or anxiety, mood swings, lasting irritability or anger, increased interpersonal conflicts, disinterest in daily activities and relationships, feeling "out of control", feelings of deep sadness or despair, possible suicide ideation)
Symptoms occur during the week before the menstrual cycle and disappear within a few days after the onset of the bleeding.
Bipolar women, indeed, have worse mood symptoms during their menstrual cycle (they experience mood swings in period of month when the hormones levels are stable, too, which is not a case with your girlfriend).

Forgetfulness is a symptom of PMS, too.
|
Users who thank MandMs for this post: powerzap69 

replied December 10th, 2008
sounds logical
at first we were refering to it as early menopause. but the most un-usual part about the whole thing is lack of remembering from month to month. every month is like a whole new world to her. the words she usesa out of anger are excact repeats and usually meaningless to me because i know there not true. if fact the things she accuses me of are actually the things shes doing. best way to describe her attitude is like someone running thru a crowd with a blindfold and a suit of armour on. doesn't see who shes hurtingf and dousn't see herself. and shes done some downright cold things to me in the name of anger. but how long do we have to continue to suffer? do you have any suggestions for treatment? i think honestly a diagnosis from a proffessional would be a step in the right direction. because shes in a harsh denial. its now the 3rd day after she left for the 13th time faithfully 13 months in a row. ever since this started. we havn't been able to get our heads above water financially. we work hard together, but we also take the time to play and relax.
|

User Profile
replied December 11th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Sometimes symptoms of another medical or psychiatric disorder can be confused with those of PMDD, but, if they are gone completely during the week after menses, PMDD diagnosis is very possible.
Symptoms of PMDD seriously disrupt someones ability to lead normal functioning life.
It's believed that serotonine (a chemical in the body that helps the brain transmit information) dysregulation is involved in PMDD.
Acctually, certain brain cells that use serotonin as a messenger are involved in controlling mood, attention, sleep and pain. Therefore, chronic changes in serotonin levels can lead to PMDD symptoms.
Depressive people, and the ones with family history of same condition, are at graetest risk for PMDD.
The first occurrence of PMDD is usually in one's late 20s, although it doesn't usually occur in patients until their mid-30s.

Try to note all the problems you girlfriend is experiencing close to her period and discuss it together with a physician.
There is a chance that some physicians aren't familiar with this severe form of PMS, but, don't stop searching for explanation of her symptoms.
Even, if the PMDD is not the case, your girlfriend deserves the right evaluation and treatment.

Best wishes,
Marija
|

replied December 14th, 2008
what if
Maybe it could be she is just always under pressure. feels guilty if she do's anything she wants to do or try's to do. I mean if this is it and she is done what do's she have to show for it everything is taken back. even thing that were given to her because it was something she wanted. everything she work, collected, what ever, she is told she don't deserve them, why should she bust her butt. to have it taken from her if she leaves. if you would have not acted the way you did it wouldn't have gone there. you should have listened!!! the ex-girlfriend
|

replied December 21st, 2008
well as you found out this was not the case
as you found out since all of this transpired. it was you who left in such a huff that you never heard me say go find a roof over your head and calm down and come back in the morning to talk. you only heard go find a roof over your head. as usual you never listen to anything anyone has to say. you had every chance to get your belongingsx then if you wanted them. instead you told me to burn them you didn't care. instead i packed tyhem nicely after 3 days of not hearing from you and put them under a tarp on the porch for you. since then we have talked and we have been helping each other. but its unfortunate that i'm feeling led on by you. only time will tell. i'm just trying to be the friend i said i would be, nothing more. nothing less
|
Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...