Medical Questions > Cancer > Thyroid Cancer Forum

second opinion for the assessment of my thyroid.

User Profile
I am wondering if I should seek a second opinion for the assessment of my thyroid.

My doctor recently noticed my thyroid was enlarged and ordered an ultrasound. The results of this are provided in the patient information. Following this the Dr ordered blood tests for TSH, T3 and T4 these came back normal. The Dr advised I am fine and that no biopsy is required for the nodule.

I am currently being treated for depression and anxiety. For this I take 300mg of Effexor XR per day. I read that a rare side effect of this medication is thyroid nodules, hyper and hypo thyroidism or thyroiditis. The dr has not discussed the potential impact of this medication I found this out on google. I have many symptoms of that indicate thyroid problems. To help me the dr has increased my Effexor today to 375ml (the increase helps for a few weeks then it's like it completely drops out and I get severely depressed)

Should I get a second opinion? Are the any questions I should be asking my doctor to clarif

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied June 27th, 2013
Thyroid Cancer Answer A44030
Welcome to e health forum.

The likelihood that Effexor (venlafexine) being the cause of your thyroid nodule is very less likely.

Thyroid nodules are very common in the middle and elderly aged groups. They can develop due to age related soft tissue changes within the thyroid tissue. Over 90 % of thyroid nodules are usually benign.

The Thyroid gland as described in your ultrasound is suggestive of cystic goitre, which is a hyperactive state of thyroid overgrowth. Females within the age group of 25 to 40 years have a high chance of such Benign thyroid enlargement. In the absence of abnormal thyroid function tests and also absence of hyperactive nodular growths in the gland (as confirmed by the ultrasound) it is highly likely that the condition is benign.

In case you are anxious and want to be sure, it would definitely help to seek a second opinion.

I hope this helps.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Thyroid Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.