Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Crohn Disease Forum

second CBC and ferritin levels torule some things out?

User Profile
Hello. I have had crohn\'s for over 20 years and have had a few rough bouts with it. I have been without insurance for the last four years and haven't had treatment, but finally got insurance and went to my PCP for labs and a referral. she didn't like the results of the lab work and made me come back for additional testing. I know there are some pretty obvious lab results for crohn\'s, but her having me do additional CBC tests and my iron levels has me concerned. I have been iron-deficient anemic several times, and have never had to do additional lab work to figure it out. The comment was "the results look like they might be typical for crohn's but she wants to do a second CBC and ferritin levels to be sure and to rule some things out". Labs:
ESR: 115
abs EOS: .19
hemoglobin: 11.6
hypochromasia: negative (marked as abnormal-shouldn\'t it be positive with the other counts showing the way they do?)
lymphs: 11.4
MCH: 24.7
MCHC: 30.5
NEUTS: 80.4
NEUTS ABS: 7.63
PLATELet: 544

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 20th, 2012
Crohn Disease Answer A35145
Hello,

Welcome to ehealthforum and thanks for writing

Relax as during the blood test a very small amount of sample is taken for testing and if repeat test is done it would not lead to anemia or any other deficiency.If your treating doctor has advised for repeating the test there is no harm and you can go for it.But only Blood test cannot provide a positive diagnosis of Chrons but only indicative of that.Along with that some other tests as Stool test, Colonscopy, Sigmoidscopy,CT are also required.

Blood test even if negative does not indicate that the patient is disease free.So I would suggest to go ahead with Colonscopy which gives a better picture and helps in diagnosis.Kindly be in follow up with your treating Doctor and take the treatment as advised.

Take care!

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Crohn's Disease is a chronic disorder that affects digestion. But what is Crohns and how does it affect the body?...
What causes Crohn's disease? Does it run in families (yes)? And how can YOU avoid the risk factors of Crohn's?...
Can you identify symptoms of Crohn's Disease? Learn more about the range of symptoms from mild to severe in this section on Crohn's symptoms here. ...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Crohn Disease , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.