Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Skin Forum

seborrheic dermatitis what can i do about my butt?

User Profile
Hello I have had seborrheic dermatitis on my face and scalp for at least 15yrs. treatment has been cortisteroids and various creams changed every 6 months or so. some work others don't. Recently my buttocks have gotten itchy and it looks like they are red and flakes are noticable. I also have internal hemmerhoids. My question is what can i do about my butt? I currently use ketocoazole 2% shampoo hdrocortizone for flare-ups. what if anything is safe for the buttocks/anal area?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied April 25th, 2012
Skin Answer A34251
Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out.

Red, itchy flaky areas can be due to seborrheic dermatitis or the second possibility is of eczema due to an allergic reaction. You can use ketoconazole 2% shampoo/hydrocortisone on the rash and also wear cotton clothes. It will be better to use mild soaps like Dove as well.

If the symptoms persist then get an evaluation done from a dermatologist.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Skin , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.