I am 47 years old and my right side of my scrotum becomes larger (about double) that the other side due to, what feels like, a liquid forming inside and around the testicle. There is no pain. It comes and goes, lasting a day or so, before returning to normal. I am not sure wether there is residual liquid once its gone, because once it goes, the scrotum is pretty much the same as the left side. I notices it many months ago, and because it went thought nothing of it. In the past I'd notice it every few months, but now its occurance is fairly frequent, perhaps every week or even more frequently. It first occured without any trauma to the area. Should I be worried? When Doctor inspected, he said he couldn't identify anything and a scan wasn't necessary as there was nothing to scan, and I should re-visit when it appears. But as it comes and goes, it's difficult to book an appointment ...
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied March 25th, 2012
Welcome to e health forum. ‎

Your symptoms appear to be due to mild scrotal / testicular inflammation, and the causes can include ‎mild unrecognised trauma or testicular engorgement as a result of sexual excitement. ‎

Hence you can try to relieve it with OTC medications like acetaminophen (Tylenol) or ibuprofen (Advil, ‎Motrin). Wearing supportive underwear and avoiding strenuous activity is also important. ‎

Conditions like - infections (orchitis), hydrocele,Varicocele - present with enlargement of the testicles ‎as well as variable amount of pain. ‎

Conditions like Testicular torsion appear with severe excruciating pain and severe redness of the ‎testicle. This is a medical emergency which needs immediate surgical intervention. ‎

In case, you have any of the following signs and symptoms, you should consult with your doctor or the ‎ER at the earliest. ‎

‎1. Pain is very severe or sudden or radiates into the abdomen, ‎
‎2. You have nausea, vomiting, urinary frequency or urgency or painful urination. ‎
‎3. There is scrotal swelling or bruising or redness
‎4. or there is external injury of the scrotum or testicle. ‎

I hope this helps.‎

Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Mumps is still common in many parts of the world. But what is the mumps? And what parts of the body can it affect? Basic facts on mumps here....
Although children are most at risk of getting the mumps, other groups are also at risk. Learn more about the mumps virus and risk factors for mumps here....
Swollen salivary glands are the first sign that you might have the mumps. But what other symptoms can you identify? And when should you seek medical help?...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Testicles , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.