Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

Screw has fallen out of acetabulum and is now lodged in hip join

I wonder if anyone could try and explain to me how it is possible that a 2 to 3 inch surgical screw, one of two which were used to repair a fracture in my acetabulum following a hip dislocation caused via a car accident could have become dislodged and is now resting between the head of my femur and accetabulum in the hip joint?

I had the above surgery in 2002 and although suffered with chronic pain following my accident this ceased in 2006. About 4 years ago I started again to get severe chronic pain in my hip. Numerous x rays all saying all was fine but I had developed osteoarthritis in that hip.

When I was 46 an orthopod physio suggested due to the osteoarthritis I would benefit from a hip replacement but due to my age I wanted to wait a bit longer. She advised I would return when the pain became too unbearable even with pain killers.

This year I have reached that stage and returned. I saw a consultant surgeon last week who arranged for a CT scan so he could get a better idea other than just using the x rays. I was shocked yesterday to discover the cause of my pain was that one of the screws used to fix my acetabulum fracture 14 years ago was now happily lodged in the space between the head of my femur and the acetabulum. I was so surprised that I failed to ask the obvious question..... how did that happen?? He suggested either surgery to remove the screws, but was concerned about the state of the bones and also the osteoarthritis causing more problems and so I now aged 48 going to have a complex total hip replacement.

I cannot understand how for one the screw came out and was able to move and two whether the screw worked its way through the bone and came out? How is this possible?

Any comments or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Sarah
Did you find this post helpful?
|
Tags: Recovery
Quick Reply
Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....