Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Scratchy throat , lumpy tonsils

User Profile
I have suffered for a year now with dry scratchy throat, lumpy tonsils, dry itchy skin and lips, irrated bloated stomach, increase in weight, headaches and joint pains. I have had lots of tests with my GP including a full range of blood tests, organ fucntion etc [also inc STD's / HIV / Hepatitius] - all normal. I worked in Africa for a year before feeling ill but have been through an extremely stressful period leading up to and including the past year. I believe I am now suffering from depression due to worrying so much about what is wrong with me and am very very down. My doctor and the local tropical disease centre cant find anything wrong and I feel like a fraud. I am a born worrier and once had ME for a period of 1.5 years but this was twenty years ago. Any help please?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 5th, 2011
Anxiety and Stress Answer A20377
Hello.

It looks like you are experiencing stress and depression for a significant period of time. And it also seems to have brought on the "secondary anxiety" about being depressed and stressed.

You could take the first step towards improvement by considering a consultation with a mental health professional such as a psychiatrist or a psychologist. This will help you make the problem specific and identify what you can work up on.

As a start, you could reduce the secondary anxiety mentioned earlier. As long as you are anxious and worried about what is wrong, it will be difficult to identify the root causes and work on them. One of the ways you can reduce the secondary anxiety is \'accept\' your current situation as it is, acknowledge the fact that a person can go through such a problem, and figure out that the situation is actually not so bad that you can\'t deal with it.

In addition, you might consider bringing on positive lifestyle changes such as modifying things in your routine so as to achieve your ideal weight, fitness, etc. You can learn a few proven methods of relaxation, such as the Jacobson\'s Progressive Muscle Relaxation and a few more. An over all improvement will definitely bring on a long term improvement.

Hope this helps.

Take care.

(This post is for the purpose of providing medical information and is not a substitute for a face-to-face consultation with a doctor. This post is not intended to give or rule out a diagnosis, create a doctor-patient relationship or replace an existing one. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please consult with your doctor or a qualified healthcare provider for diagnosis and treatment options)
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Anxiety and Stress , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.