Medical Questions > Mental Health > Schizophrenia Forum

Scientific cause for schizophrenia ?

I haven't really analyzed the town, it's hard to take in a bigger group of people. I was just thinking, in my development alone there are three people with diagnosable schizophrenia. My neighbor who takes pictures of people as they pass, yells profanities all day and blasts her music etc. and now my mom started yelling in the yard just like my neighbor, and then I'm just not sure about the others in this development, they seem normal I guess. Well what's normal? It's just weird, because I'm also suffering from a disorder. I never screamed in the yard or anything, but I'm probably the only one who takes medication. maybe I shouldn't compare myself to every person who is somewhat delusional but that in this vicinity there are three people with an extremely rare disorder, supposedly effecting 1% of the population??? Not to mention, all the people I know who have schizophrenia...I meet many people who have disorders...so I just don't believe it's even less than 3% of the population. It's probably more like 7 percent with schizophrenia alone, COUNTING the homeless people and those in jail. But anyways, maybe there is something in the water? We have a well that is shared...and I know there are lime deposits but I'm not sure what would cause this hysteria? I know that I was fine before I moved here, and then suddenly it started with having tinnitus, or ringing in my ears, then I started breaking down... I just wonder, maybe there IS a scientific cause for schizophrenia? Perhaps mineral or something? The other thing I wonder is how medication helps? Does it just calm down the excitation or can it actually cure the disorder?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 1st, 2010
Hi, i'm 16 with schizoeffective disorder. I hope my opinion helps.
my father beleives that chemicals used in foods these days can cause mental disorders. it's only been recent that there has been a boost in mental disorders, as well as chemicals bein g used in food.

i think stress is also a large part of it too. my schizophrenia had a large rise after i was effected by bushfires. so stressful things usually cause more servere or can trigger mental disorders.

antipsychotic medication helps to balance the levels of chemicals in your brain, calming your moodswings and cutting off alot of the extra connections between nurons in your brain. The more connections your brain makes, the more weird things you think up and immagin (like delusions) so the antipsychotics slow down those connections.
|

replied April 30th, 2011
Hi. This reply is sorta late. I haven't been on here in awhile. I think you're right about stress, but I'm not sure about food. I was on a vegetarian all natural diet right before the symptoms set in.

Thanks for your input. Smile
|

replied December 3rd, 2010
I have an 11 yr old that hears voices that tell her she will die if she doesn't do something! I have an appointment for her with a doctor but I need advice.
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Schizophrenia is a lifelong brain disorder. But how do doctors define it? And is there a cure?...
What causes schizophrenia? And what are the risks of developing this treatable mental illness?...
The first signs of schizophrenia may be difficult to identify. Learn the most common signs and symptoms of schizophrenia and know when to ask for medical help....