Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

Sciatic nerve pain Any relief ?

Any relief for sciatic nerve pain down leg. Constant for last 14 days. Had a mylogram and CAT today but not clear. Have to have another one next week. However, am seeing a back doc in 2 days. Am currently taking Percocet and Neurontin. No relief! Help
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 25th, 2011
boat,

There are many options available for sciatic nerve pain. The first thing I would suggest is asking your doc to schedule a lumbar MRI. An MRI will show more conclusive results than a Cat scan. Also with the MRI your doc will be able to rule out any major risk factors like tumors etc. BTW, these are rare so do not be afraid.

After you get the MRI results ask your doc to fully explain them to you. If you do not understand the answers or your doc won't spend the time to explain them, ask for the MRI results and seek another opinion.

If your problem is disc related, (note that this includes bulges, stenosis etc,) there are many non-surgical options available to you. Some of these are decompression, aqua and hands on therapies. Use the Web to research which one is best for you and your situation. Please note that many times surgery is offered as a quick fix for sciatic nerve pain. I urge you to consider all your options before opting for surgery.

Good luck in your quest for pain relief. I know where you're at.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...