Medical Questions > Mental Health > Schizophrenia Forum

Schizophrenic Scientist?

Hello, I had schizophrenia as a teen but I'm no longer psychotic. I still have emotional problems (anxiety, depression) though.
My problem is that I want to study science (maybe evolutionary biology or pathology) but I'm not sure if this is possible. Would a school even let a schizophrenic in? How about a graduate program? I know there are services available for "disabled" students, but I'm sure utilizing them would destroy a person's competitiveness as an academic. Help me out?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 8th, 2010
Active User, very eHealthy
Are you sure that you had it?

I've gone quite awhile without meds but it always came back, or should I say "they" always came back.

How in the heck does it just go away for some people. Or do they just sort've hide it I wonder?

So, one minute you were schizophrenic and the next you weren't, did you do anything special to make it stop?
|

replied October 9th, 2010
Have you ever heard of schizophreniform disorder? And it's not like I'm all better. I have plenty of issues, a corniacopia of issues if you want to get technical. I don't want to get into the details, but some people might say I'm still psychotic because of a certain unique problem I have, but I don't consider it a problem. I just want to get on with my life, and I'm finding it EXTREMELY difficult.
|

User Profile
replied October 9th, 2010
You can do whatever you want to do! You can absolutely go to school (college)and further your education!! Call and make an appointemnt to talk to a adviser. Don't let anything stop you from what you want to do!
|
Users who thank Bradlee707 for this post: schizocoder 
Must Read
Schizophrenia is a lifelong brain disorder. But how do doctors define it? And is there a cure?...
What causes schizophrenia? And what are the risks of developing this treatable mental illness?...
The first signs of schizophrenia may be difficult to identify. Learn the most common signs and symptoms of schizophrenia and know when to ask for medical help....