Medical Questions > Mental Health > Mental Conditions Forum

schizophrenia or anorexia ?

i was looking for help on what this condition may be...

okay my bro is 16, and he as a mild intellectual disability so the doctor says but this was also about 3 years ago this was diagnoised.... he has symptoms including..

- mood swings usually angry try's to fight people
- says he hears voices telling him crap
- you hear him whispering things back to himself under his breath like hes talking to somebody? or repeats words/things oveer and over
- antisocial, try's to avoid people, doesn't want to make friends
- hits my mother when he don't get his way
- never cleans after himself, rooms a mess, doesnt put things away
- appearance issues cutting his hair
- no sucidal issues, brought it up a few times but thats rare
- thinks hes fat when hes only 125lbs, and myself and my friends have proved to him he isn't fat if he weighs less then us two girls included (were only 19) our highest was 150.... he used to be 180 but kids made fun of him.
- he avoids sitting down, he thinks if he sits its for lazy people and he will get fat, hes avoiding many foods, and he'll just pace around the house with a hoodie on, a coat, and shoes, like hes always going somewhere, he will walk after every meal for about an hour like hes trying to sweat it out or something, i honestly don't know what to do with his kid? we took him to like 3 different doctors, and all they have to say is there is "nothing wrong with him" i questioned my mom that ikes to think nothing of it but knows there is a problem, she doesnt think its serious and he'll grow out of it, but recently its only been worse and shes the type of person who likes to push everything off, i and my girlfriend think all this crap is very unusual and not how a 16 year old should act.... but the funny thing is, at school hes doing fine, and passing all his classes??? we were thinking its more of..

skitzophrenia
start of anorexia

but not sure, what do you guys think? theres so much and its starting to drive everyone around him crazy just by putting up with him!!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 13th, 2009
probably both
My mother has both. They apparently coincide often. At one point, anorexia was considered a form of schizophrenia.

Anorexia is related to obsession about perfectionism, so it's not totally surprising that he's good there.

Is he seeing a psychiatrist? Get him to someone, good, who is friendly, and kind, and who you can talk to. There is no cure, but meds do wonders.
|

replied August 28th, 2010
I have both.

Also, keep in mind that malnutrition from anorexia can cause psychotic symptoms like those in schizophrenia.
|

replied March 8th, 2011
He sounds like a normal 16 year old to me, I wasn't that different when I was that age
|

replied June 19th, 2011
Extremely eHealthy
seems u took him to the wrong Dr.,
now try a Psychiatrist (they have to be Dr.s before they can go on the Psychiatry)
is he willing to go to a mental health facility?
if u don't have great insurance u may need a state facility as insurance co.s limit the amount they r willing to spend due to the poor long term success rate
|

replied October 10th, 2011
For psychonutritional approach please read:

Nutritional Aspects of Schizophrenia
and go to page 7
Much of this applies also to Bipolar Disorder.
|
Must Read
Schizophrenia is a lifelong brain disorder. But how do doctors define it? And is there a cure?...
What causes schizophrenia? And what are the risks of developing this treatable mental illness?...
The first signs of schizophrenia may be difficult to identify. Learn the most common signs and symptoms of schizophrenia and know when to ask for medical help....