Medical Questions > Mental Health > Schizophrenia Forum

schizophrenia or am I just worrying?

I am a girl in my teens, who is rather prone to worrying (albeit not to the degree it affects my life). I have recently been getting what I think might be symptoms of schizophrenia, and thought this might be a good place to double check my worries before I go and bother a psychiatrist.
I hear things, but not normally voices or conversations. The two most common things I hear are drumming (I don't play drums nor do I ever recognize the beat the drumming is) and a sound as though someone has crept up behind me and is whispering 'rhaww' in my ear. The drumming is something no-one else seems to hear, and my dog doesn't show any signs of having heard it - said dog is very sensitive to those sort of sounds and makes a fuss if he can hear them. For me, it is most definitely sounding outside of my head, not at all in the same way as recalling a song inside your head. As for the whispering, the only thing I can highlight about that is I can only hear it in one ear, as though a person is stood on that side of me.
I hear other things too, car alarms, footsteps, doors slamming. But these could all be dismissed as simply having better hearing than those I ask if they can hear it too.
I also have a fear I am being watched. I hate walking alone in the dark, even around my own house and garden (and I live in a rural area where the threat of something happening in that situation is almost nil). A particular time I get this is when I am alone in a room, when I stand up to leave the room I have an overwhelming urge to run and find other people. I can force myself to walk, but it isn't pleasant to. Believe it or not, it is worst when I am using the bathroom. Once I flush the toilet I get very scared and have to leave immediately. To the degree that I now prepare everything to leave and then hurry out of the room as soon as it is flushed.

Thank you very much.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 1st, 2010
hearing things that others can't is a very obvious sign. if you keep hearing that person trying to scare you just tell them to go away, don't let them scare you. often when i think about people trying to scare me they come along and try to, because i'm thinking of it, so try to keep good happy thoughts.

i suggest going to see a counceller or psychiatrist. it helps alot to know why and how these things are happening, and helps that you can always call them up and ask for advice.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Schizophrenia is a lifelong brain disorder. But how do doctors define it? And is there a cure?...
What causes schizophrenia? And what are the risks of developing this treatable mental illness?...
The first signs of schizophrenia may be difficult to identify. Learn the most common signs and symptoms of schizophrenia and know when to ask for medical help....