Medical Questions > Mental Health > Schizophrenia Forum

Schizophrenia diagnosis correct?

User Profile
Missdiagnossed?

I am a chinese. I was jobless, got angry with myself, people and god. I smashed things around my home. Smashed the chinese god related items. (year 2009)

I was then hospitalized.
I had delusions but I know it was not true. I did not have hallucinations. My blood test indicated that I have liver inflammation during I was hospitalized in a pchiatry unit. (subsequent in year 2009)

I was diagnosed with schezophrenia by the doctor. I frequent wake up in the middle of night in frighten with differnt kind of bad dreams. Do I have schezophrenia (is this a missdiagnoss)?

After dischagred, taking medicine, there are some symptoms of hallucinations, for three times; is it due to the schezophrenia or liver inflammation, or the side effect of medicine (risperidone 2mg)I am taking?

I dont understand, I smashed things( includes god things) and this make me a schezophrenia?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 14th, 2010
Schizophrenia Answer A13167

Hello.

It is important that you talk to your treating psychiatrist about the diagnosis of Schizophrenia. As we discussed in your earlier post, there are specific criteria for diagnosing Schizophrenia. Some of those criteria are delusions, hallucinations, the duration of symptoms, etc.

Liver inflammation, per se, does not lead to hallucinations. The liver disease should be of such an extent that it affects the nervous system, leading to either a delirious state or further problems.

The psychiatrists who treated you and diagnosed you in 2009 must have gathered enough symptom history and signs and symptoms to fulfil the criteria for Schizophrenia. Quite obviously, smashing things is not the only symptoms needed to diagnose.

Risperidone is most probably not related to the hallucination you experienced. Even though the timing of the hallucination may suggest so, Risperidone is not known to cause hallucination on its own.

Regards

(This post is for the purpose of providing medical information and is not a substitute for a face-to-face consultation with a doctor. This post is not intended to give or rule out a diagnosis, create a doctor-patient relationship or replace an existing one.)

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Schizophrenia is a lifelong brain disorder. But how do doctors define it? And is there a cure?...
What causes schizophrenia? And what are the risks of developing this treatable mental illness?...
The first signs of schizophrenia may be difficult to identify. Learn the most common signs and symptoms of schizophrenia and know when to ask for medical help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Schizophrenia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.