Medical Questions > Mental Health > Schizophrenia Forum

Schizophrenia and traumatic events

Hello! My name is Marisa. A few weeks ago I was assigned a project about Schizophrenia. I was required to create a hypothesis and then try to prove or disprove it via an interview or surveys. So the hypothesis I came to was "Schizophrenia is more reocurrent in those who have encountered traumatic events."

As I began researching, it seemed clear that traumatic events had very little relevance to the development of the disorder.

So, to finalize if traumatic events have any bearing, I wanted to ask those who have or have dealt with the disorder before.

Do you have Schizophrenia or know someone who has it?

Have you or this person ever faced any traumatic events?

If so, what was the event? (If you don't mind sharing.)

Thank you so much!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 13th, 2009
traumatic events
Hi

I've had schizophrenia for ten years and during episodes traumatic events go hand in hand with the disease.

You go through delusions which throw up unreal situations that i belived were real. creating nonsense, not being able to get a grip on my emotional state is frightening.
|

replied September 7th, 2011
Schizophrenia is a social construct NOT a medical condition
I do believe there are unusual sates of consciousnesses that occur in response to trauma and interpersonal stress and that these are "normal" adaptions but for some they appear deviant ie dysfunctional the question for many is how to deal with people who make us feel uneasy , deviants were once locked in asylums and un -classified and now "they" are classified as suffering from what ? Please read Schizophrenia the scientific delusion, Schizophrenia isn't a real entity at all it is a fabrication.

Scenario : I rage at the loss of girlfriend /boyfriend , I then feel sad and eventually hopelessly depressed, I go around in a low mood and start wearing goth like outfits , become fascinated with death morbidity and wearing black etc my parents don't understand the G.P refers me to psychiatrist and from then on "they" want to know from the experts "i" have been left out of the equation the scapegoat of a dysfunctional ( unusual family dynamic) . This is fictional account but does it sound familiar ?

It's a phase , it's part of life , it's actually essential for our spiritual and psychological growth , 's parents wanted him certified , was he mad too?
|

I have since posting have recovered from schizophrenia, the term itself is an umbrella of different symptoms and I dealt with each one and have an extremely high nutrient diet which a lack of is relevant to mental health issues.

I do agree that it is thrown around to anyone dysfunctional and suffering mentally, but that is what it is. The sad part is it doesn't take well to the conventional medicines approach to managing it. In fact it can be dealt with and overcome with nurture and understanding of the dis-ease from the sufferer and yes it can be the family dynamic that is at fault. I don't believe that people who aren't ignorant think goth or other states of social stance are considered a mental illness.

Your fictional story is not relevant to my profile of development, but I agree is was avoidable and had I been aware of mental health issues I would have taken action at the start even at an early age.

Thank you most interesting.
|

Response to symptomolgy of "schizophrenia"
Good !

Yes the fictional account was bit rushed and not very believable.

They say that the highest state of realization is that of "crazy- enlightenment" that is an enlightened individual who is at play in what others might call hell or can more readily embrace his shadow.

Good luck and well if you're up for a challenge try Mary Boyle's book
|

P.S

Try not to label yourself , I don't feel that is at all help full
|

Thanks I'll have a look.

For a health challenge try juicemaster.com Jason Vale is a wonder and I've never felt so good.
|

I don't take meds and have no mental illness to speak of anymore.

I took both routes conventional and alternative I score lower on all the tests now then anyone could of hoped or believed.

Meditation, healthy thoughts, and good food and vitamins every day.

Wonders never cease.

The label fell away when rebuilding my life.
|

challenge
Good good..

My challenge to you is a statement and question .

Who said you had one before ?

What is mental illness , myth , fabrication , social construct reality or fiction ?

God Bless
|

replied September 9th, 2011
Active User, very eHealthy
What is my mental illness, demons?
|

replied September 9th, 2011
Active User, very eHealthy
And it has nothing to do with trauma, although I've been through some traumatic things.

But schizophrenia, not drugs, isn't brain damage, isn't something that happened when you were a kid, none of that nonesense.

It is spirits, and it is real, and they can hurt you.

You should've seen them back at the home, constantly reading eachothers minds and seeing ghosts everywhere, and oh the endless epiphanies and revelations.

Okay, first things first, stop calling it schizophrenia to begin with, and learn what it is first.
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Schizophrenia is a lifelong brain disorder. But how do doctors define it? And is there a cure?...
What causes schizophrenia? And what are the risks of developing this treatable mental illness?...
The first signs of schizophrenia may be difficult to identify. Learn the most common signs and symptoms of schizophrenia and know when to ask for medical help....