Medical Questions > Mental Health > Schizophrenia Forum

Schizophrenia also dissociation ?

User Profile
I have a complex range of issues that started with Borderline Personality Disorder and then with drug use degenerated into Paranoid Schizophrenia. However I've noticed that when I hear voices sometimes I also seem to dissociate. I go into this out of body state of mind my doctor called "depersonalization" - and so was just wondering if anyone else experiences anything similar... I really do go off into a world of my own - but I like it there. I seem to feel very uncomfortable in the company of too many other people and sometimes it feels like they're talking over me instead of to me.

Curious.
K. eek
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 14th, 2009
I dissociate as well and have "schizoaffective disorder" even though it is more like bipolar 2 without psychotic features which would exclude the diagnosis of schizoaffective. I get both depersonalization and derealization where nothing feels real at all. I also have severe time distortion. It is like when I say something happened a week ago, in reality it only happened "yesterday." There are times where I feel totally drunk even though I had no alcohol or drugs. Also when reading stuff, it appears that it is in a different language but I'm not dyslexic. Sometimes it feels like I am floating high that I will reach the ceiling. But not high as in happiness. At times it is so severe that it actually feels like someone else is in control over my body.
|

User Profile
replied June 15th, 2009
I feel the exact same way.

I become extreamly paranoid around alot of people and have had panic attacks when I go to stores.

The "world of your own" you describe is where I go when I have to have a serious talk with my voices and ask advice. It is extreamly safe. I do not know how healthy it is to go there often. I don't often drift of into it, I force myself to go when it is needed.
|

User Profile
replied June 16th, 2009
Thank you both. I don't feel so alone anymore in that I know at least someone else knows how it feels. I sometimes wonder what it is - that we know so little about the consciousness. It is something that has always bothered me in my study of psychology that using introspection was snuffed out for the 'scientific' method.

Oh well - we have our own worlds but at least we can feel safe there and everybody knows us Smile
|

replied July 17th, 2009
Experienced User
i dont go into a different place, but i zone out and see visions of all the possible futures, all frightening, with the voices describing them
|
Tags: hear
Quick Reply
Must Read
Schizophrenia is a lifelong brain disorder. But how do doctors define it? And is there a cure?...
What causes schizophrenia? And what are the risks of developing this treatable mental illness?...
The first signs of schizophrenia may be difficult to identify. Learn the most common signs and symptoms of schizophrenia and know when to ask for medical help....