ok, here's the thing I and scared of people, wether it is talking to them, or having them touch me ar me touching them. I can talk to people after a while but when they try to touch me i flinch away or stiffen up. I cant have one on one conversations with people, like jod interveiws or even student teacher meeting with out panicing and chickening out like 3 times. Is this a mental disorder and if so can it be fixed?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 17th, 2009
This is called social phobia. I also felt this way once upon a time. You might want to go to a doctor and explain (if you can). They will probably send you to a counsellor or they might want to give you antidepressants.

Social phobia is a symptom of anxiety which is seen as a mental disorder when it effects your life as you have described it does. This does not mean that you are psychiatrically ill or "crazy" and this problem is very treatable.

Have a go at CBT which are interactive self-help programmes that can help you to look at things a different way and increase your confidence.

One thing I used to do was make myself do something terrifying - like wander up to a group of strangers in my classes at uni and talk to them, or make small talk with a cashier in the supermarket - then talking to people one on one felt like nothing. I know that sounds hard but you'll feel so proud of yourself if you do it.

The fear of being touched will be a similar fear of intimacy that is caused by anxiety. Therapy could help you get over this.

Good luck
|

replied May 17th, 2009
thanks
thank you for the help, i'm glad to know i'm not crazy, and i'll try those things
|
Tags: Ar, touch
Quick Reply
Must Read
Stress is a natural response to life. But when does stress begin to cause health problems? Basics on stress and the stress response here....
What are the most common signs of stress? To learn which symptoms of acute, episodic and chronic stress can develop into more serious problems, start here....
Stress can trigger chronic illness. Learn how doctors test for stress and what to expect during an office visit in this section on how to diagnose stress....