Medical Questions > Cancer > Thyroid Cancer Forum

Scared, need some advise

First and foremost, I have NEVER had a health scar like this.
I cannot sleep. I've always been antsy and I always over think the situations I'm in, which increases my anxiety even more.

When I was 21 I saw a doctor for my anxiety attacks. She did feel my "fat" as I call it but now I realize she was checking my thyroid. It was determined I had a chemical imbalance causing my panic attacks because it ran in the family so badly. I've never EVER had bloodwork done in my life! I'm 26 years old and I am scared to death of needles.

Now, fast forward to now. Keep in mind it is April. I constantly have my little heater on at work. I'm almost always cold. I have gained roughly 20 pounds since Dec and
I have changed my diet and I was exercising until I got frustrated with my continued weight gain. After some research I realize my weight may be caused from my
Thyroid. My neck is even more swollen. My body aches and I'm moody and stressed all the time. I've been constantly tired as well.

Can someone please give me a little advise? I need to calm down and take a step back. I need a little support also on how everyone gets past their needle phobia. I can do it at the dentist but the idea of a needle in my arm is scaring the daylight out of me! Please help!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 29th, 2014
Thank you for asking!
I can understand your love for needles. I myself has that love Razz
Now the condition is quite a classic presentation for hypothyroidism as heater in april and always cold clammy and swollen puffy neck is the indication of that. I bet your voice is hoarse and heavy than expected, a classic sign of myxedema, a result of hypothyroidism. All you need is a good endocrinologist, who will run some labs for your thyroid and then will put on on thyroxine supplements to get your basal metabolic rate back to normal.As simple as that. WHere are needles in it? excpet some blood samples which will be hardly a few seconds and you wont even know it.
Take care. Many fers in our life we have to combat other wise we wont survive. You are a human being and you know how our ancestors combated different obstacles to survive.Needle is needless amongst them.
You can do it.
take care
|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Thyroid Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.