Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Scar from hernia operation ?

I have been in need of a hernia operation for 3 years.
It is now horribly big - the size of a grapefruit and the pain kills me.
I am terrified of being operated on down there.
I read bad things re. meshes.
I am terrified I will be disfigured. Will there be a big scar?
Will a general surgeon in a hospital even care about a scar?
Will they laugh at me if I ask?
Will Shouldice be better than mesh in terms of scar?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 1st, 2010
The skin incision/scar is the same irrespective of which type of repair is done (unless you have a laparoscopic hernia repair, which is no longer done as frequently for groin hernias these days). The current "standard of care" operation for the repair of inguinal hernias is repair with mesh.

You will not be "disfigured" by having a groin hernia repair, but you will have a scar (as with all types of surgery).

Sincerely/ Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

www.doctorwascher.com

www.oncoguard.com

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hernia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.