Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Skin Forum

scalp smell and skin discoloration, now missing hair?

User Profile
For the past few months I have been struggling with a mysterious illness. It began on my skin in the area just below my chest (the diaphragm). I started to show dark brown and dry patches of skin. My skin started to become very flaky and my scalp started to have a musty smell all the time (including after showering). I tried anti-fungal creams, shampoos and other herbal remedies, but nothing worked. I visited a dermatologist in Culver City, but she wasn't able to figure out what it could be. She ended up giving me a drug called Doxycycline, which ended up clearing everything right up (scalp smell and skin discoloration). After finishing up the prescribed dosage, I was ok for a couple of months before I began noticing the smell again. There was no discoloration this time, but now I have a patch of hair missing on the left side of my scalp. What could this be? I'm thinking that it could be a bacteria in my blood or something. Please help.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 12th, 2012
Skin Answer A39506
Hi,
Welcome to ehealthforum,
If your symptoms have cleared after using Doxycycline treatment course, it is possible that you have had either bacterial or fungal infection. If the symptoms have recurred, you should consider visiting your doctor/dermatologist for further evaluation and see if re-starting on same medication would help in controlling the symptoms. Be in regular monitoring and follow-up with your treating doctor/dermatologist and report any new/abnormal symptoms immediately.
Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and myth...plus who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Skin , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.