Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

Same symptoms after lumbar spine surgery

I have had a lumbar spine L4-L5 microdiscectomy on the 13th of march.The pain had decreased after the surgery. But since 3 days I have been having similar pains that I had before the surgery, numbness and pain in the left leg and foot. Having trouble walking and standing. I would like to know if this could possibly be a recurrence because its very severe. Please help me on this as I am quite worried if i would not be able to rejoin and continue my normal life....
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper pete81241
|

replied April 11th, 2010
Extremely eHealthy
surgeons generally use a steroid in the surgical site to reduce inflamation. when it wears off pain will return. your surgeon may want you to go through extensive rehabilitation soon. he will probably continue this for several months. i hope this helps as many people claim it does .... if after 6 months you still have the pain then it will be time for new tests. you need to be patient as irritation from the surgery must heal and muscles need to be strengthened....stay in close communication with your surgeon.....good luck....pete
|

replied April 20th, 2010
Hi,
I have had lumbar fusion L-5 to S! with decompression for spondylisthesis. Prior to surgery I told the physician that I could deal with pain as long as I could stand and walk erect. It has been a little over 3 months since the surgery. At this point I have seen no improvement. The surgeon said it would take 8 months to a year for recuperation. However, I feel that I should at least see some improvement. I am trying to stay active by riding a bike but the instability of my spine prevents me from walking. This very frustrating as my activities are extremely limited from my condition. I build furniture and I cannot do any building because my posture is so bad that I will surely have an accident if attempt work in my wood shop. I am very worried that I my condition will not improve. Please respond ASAP.
Thanks Tony
|

replied June 22nd, 2010
Surgeons are butchers
Surgeons are butchers. They just treat the symtoms but not the cause.
|

replied June 22nd, 2010
Extremely eHealthy
hi tony...
what type of surgery did you have?
did the nature of your pain change at all after the surgery?
|

replied June 23rd, 2010
Lumbar discectomy L5/S1 open back surgery 1994 for a herniated disc. It did cure the pain I was experiencing down my legs but not my lower back pain. I have fought the pain with stretching and pain killers. Sick and tired of being in pain. My BUPA osteo consultant says I now need spinal fusion for single level disc degeneration. In this day and age I'm amazed how little is known about backs. Spinal fusion is nothing short of butchery. The procedures in the UK seem very limited when compared with the US. My surgeon can't offer any other procedure apart from spinal fusion. I'm seeing another consultant this week for a second opinion. Always get a second opinion and if necessary a third opinion before electing for surgery. Same with lumbar discectomy, how can cutting away part of your disc solve the problem? I wish to god I knew more before my surgery but unfortunately I trusted my surgeon. Also back in 1994 there was less information about back issues. My MRI just showed a slight bulge, with the right help I'm sure my problem could have been resolved without surgery. Not that surgery has resolved my problem, I’m still in lots of pain. Private surgeons make a fortune out of these type of operations. They butcher you to pay for their holidays. These operations are ONLY ever a temporary fix. Unless you address the cause of the issue, your pain will return. Muscle imbalances are usually the cause of the problem. MRI scans are NOT conclusive, always get second and third opinions. Anyway I won't bore you any further.
|

replied June 23rd, 2010
Hi,

Did you ever tried spinal Decompression may be it will help you as many people had good result by this.
|
Users who thank academychiroandlaser for this post: Hertsman 

replied June 23rd, 2010
Many thanks for your help, it really is geatly appreciated. That article has given me a new lease of life. I'm not sure if that decompression machine is available in the UK but I will do some research. I suspect I'm still eligible for that type of therapy as I don't have any metal holding my spine together. That article is brilliant, especially the part about stem cells. Thank you so much for sharing that information with me. It really is an amazing article. If you know of a clinic in the UK using that method then can you please pass on the details. Kind regards Tony (United Kingdom)
|

replied September 25th, 2011
pain with walking
I had L5 microdiscectomy due to a ruptured disc. 2 yrs ago in April. for a few months now whenever i get up after sitting the pain in my legs makes it unbariable to walk. Once i get up and walking I am fine but it takes a few minutes. Could this be from months of nerve damage before the surgery?? I am scared I am going to have to surgery again. Any answers?
|
Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...