Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

salty saliva during bowel movement

When I have a bowel movement which is irregular I get weak, start sweating, and my mouth fills with excessive salty saliva, sometimes I bleed lightly for a couple days afterward. My stools are not hard. Thanks for any info concerning this.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 11th, 2009
girlfriend had same thing
girlfriend had same thing. wish someone would give an answer.
|

replied June 10th, 2009
Excessive salty saliva during bowel movement
i have had the very same symptoms that you describe. except i also become nauseated and the salty saliva is so excessive that i have to spit it out. this usually lasts for 1-2 minutes...then it's over. doesn't happen too often...maybe 5-6 times a year. no bleeding, but i do experience stomach cramps with the bowel movement. anyone have any answers?
|

replied January 10th, 2010
salivation, cramps, sometimes nausea during defecation
I've had similar sypmtoms to those described by retired64 on occasions since I was a child. It seems to be occurring more often now and now causes me to vomit sometimes. However, the salivation does not taste very salty.
|

replied November 8th, 2010
Salty Saliva
Did anyone ever get an answer to the above posts? I have experienced this recently and would love to know what the heck is going on or if it is something i need to go to a Dr for.
|

replied March 14th, 2011
probably not serious
I get it this a couple times a year when I have an uncomfortable movement. Lots of saliva from the top of my cheeks and lower jaw. Only a little salty, but I can't swallow it all and usually feel better spiting it out into a cup. I don't know how long this has been going on. I'm 60, so maybe the past 15 or 20 years, a couple times a year. It feels like it's pouring out, but is only about 1/8 to 1/4 of small bathroom dixie cup.
|

replied March 24th, 2011
I have also done this for years, gone to the Dr. twice and have no answers. Had 2 colonosy done and nothing. My daughter says the bowel is conected to a spinter nerve that causes it, I guess it is nothing to worry about, but I do it usually once a month, I always think it must be something that I have eaten.
|

replied October 10th, 2011
sweating and salivating during bowel movement
I'm going to be 39 in two months, and have had this problem since I was a child. I went to my doctor last year and asked about it... He explained that it had to do with a spinter nerve that lies close to the bowels and if compressed (usually when constipated or having a large movement) it can cause these side effects, mine has been severe enough, that I can barely speak, salivate excessively (not very salty) have cramps in my lower bowels, and sweat... The doc said while the symptoms are unpleasant, there is not anything to be worried about.
|

User Profile
replied October 10th, 2011
Especially eHealthy
The symptoms being described are caused by activation of the autonomic nervous system. Since part of the anal sphincter complex is controlled by the autonomic nervous system, it can be seen why this occurs.

Specifically, the Sphincter Ani Internus muscle is the part being discussed. Its actions are entirely involuntary. It helps the Sphincter Ani Externus muscle to occlude the anal aperture (hole) and aids in the expulsion of the feces (bowel movement). Parasympathetic fibers from the pelvic segments of the spinal cord innervate (supply) the internal sphincter. It is not innervated by the pudendal nerve, which carries somatic (motor and sensory) fibers that provide the innervation to the external anal sphincter, and is under voluntary control.

The parasympathetic fibers are part of the autonomic nervous system, so in some people, the activation of these fibers during a bowel movement, stimulate other parts of the autonomic system. Usually the part stimulated is the section associated with the "fight or flight" mechanism. So, the salivary glands, bowels, vision, sweating, heart rate, alertness, etc can all be affected to varying degrees in different persons.

Hope that was not too technical to be understood.
|

replied December 2nd, 2015
slow heart rate during BM
This started happening to me 2 months after my gastric sleeve. Is it dangerous? I feel like my heart is going to stop.
|

replied December 28th, 2017
I have Salty Saliva during harsh Bowel Movements +vomit/sneezing
It's good to hear that I am not alone, lol! I go through the salty saliva every 4-5 months. I feel like I am going to vomit, but I take a hand full of toilet paper and let the saliva pool in there as I am harshly having a bowel movement and it seems to prevent me from getting sicker to my stomach. Goes away after a couple minutes. Another symptom that has happened during this episode is sneezing suddenly. (Harsh Bowel Movement, Sometimes Vomiting at same time, Salty Saliva 1-2 minutes, and sneezing a few times), Weird, but man do I feel great after it's over! Feel like i lose 10 pounds!
|
Tags: sweating, mouth
Quick Reply
Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....