User Profile
I have been having this trouble for years, and every year it seems to get worse. I am copletely happy during the summer months feeling there's nothing I can't do. In the winter months I am totally opposite. I have no energy,have trouble getting out of bed,doing daily tasks. I sometimes have thoughts of checking out, and even say it out loud. As far as I know, there is no history of bipolar disorder in my family. I was molested when I was 8 years of age. I have recently found my self sabotaging relationships. I don't know why I do this, perhaps I don't want anyone to get too close to me and find out my problem. I also have trouble concentrating and finishing things. This past summer I would'nt even been asking these questions because I felt completly happy. I have rcently took the bipolar test on The blackdog institue website, and scored a 30. Please tell me what you think.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 29th, 2009
SAD and hypothyroidism
Hello,

Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am glad to help you out.

Two possibilities exist for your symptoms. First is of seasonal affective disorder(SAD). It is a mood disorder in which people who have normal mental health throughout most of the year experience depressive symptoms in the winter. Symptoms of SAD may consist of: difficulty waking up in the morning, a tendency to oversleep and overeat. It is one of the predispositions for bipolar disorder. The second possibility is a thyroid disorder like hypothyroidism.

My sincere advice is to consult a physician and get it evaluated. Also get thyroid function tests evaluated. It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For an exact diagnosis, you are advised to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our General Q and A , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.