I've done some extensive searching, but can't find any answers.

My nose runs every time I read something physically in front of me, such as a book or magazine.

Computers don't cause this as bad. Some times this happens during a class or while studying, so may be related to thinking.

I've seen many people who experience this while exercising, and although I used to have very "cold" headaches while riding my bicycle, running does not cause this.

I received an eye exam years ago and my eyes are almost 20/20. Wearing glasses did not help this situation.

My physician was not very useful either.

-Tres
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 4th, 2008
I have this same problem. I didn't really consider it a problem, though.
|

replied March 4th, 2008
Nose Running
My nose runs everytime I poo. Is this normal?
|

replied March 22nd, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
This could be one of many things. Could be caused by what we call "Post nasal drip" which starts at the back of the throat and nose. Do any of you have a constant problem with phlem? I have had this problem myself since childhood. Also this is allergy season and there are numerous things starting to bloom. You nose is more prone to run in a head down position. Any kind of straining may cause the to happen aslso. You lungs are actually forcing the fluid upward and out your nose. I have very severe airborn allergies and sometimes get so sick and tired of it. I take a nasal expectorent to help loosen the phlem.
|

replied April 19th, 2008
Hi

I have this problem too, I have been studying in my spare time and within 15 mins of starting to read, my nose starts to run, and continues to do so until I stop!

It is really annoying, especially as it has been going on for over a year now!

Would love to know why and what can be done to help stop this...

Marie
|

replied May 6th, 2009
It's a pain
I'm tired of my nose running while studying too. I've always wondered what causes this condition. If there is anyone out there who might know please reply. Thanks, I'm going to dental school and I don't want to have a runny nose for four more years!
Thanks.
|

replied February 20th, 2010
my nose runs too!!
I have tried to look this up as well as I have the same problem. I never really thought it was the reading as I don't think this happens when I read books but then again i don't read many books. But definately when I study. When I study after 10mins I need to blow my nose. It's like straining my brain and thinking affects it. When I read the textbook I don't have this issue, I get it more when I'm doing questions and really using my brain.

It's weird. I don't get why!!

For a while I thought it was just me but now I see there at others. My friends thought i was weird but it might just be a normal thing. I feel so relieved knowing there are others and I'm not a freak!
|

replied April 26th, 2010
im just saying xD
umm i know that your nose runs up when u have a hot air in your nose so maybe cus when u study or read something u focus hard so your brain gets hot then the air gets hot then your nose runs maybe im not sure .

and dont worry needing to focus so hard doesn''t mean your stupid Razz
|

replied June 16th, 2010
Heh.. Ditto here.. Similar to Bnrndrn.

Whenever i start doing some serious work, or have to crunch some calculations out, my nose will start to drip like water drops.

Searched and searched, but found nothing much. Glad to know im not the only one with a defrosting brain :p
|

replied November 22nd, 2010
Running Nose when concentrating
This happens to me when I start going into a deep thought pattern or when I'm reading and really concentrating on each word. I think this happens to everyone, but most people don't go that deep in thought so it never bothers them. As an example, try explaining something really complicated like taxes to someone and watch while they try to absorb the information. I'll bet their eyes will start to water and their nose will run also.
|

replied June 29th, 2011
Watery eyes & Nose running while reading.
Ok so i thought I was the only one. But i have the exact same problem. I just finished my BSc, and throught the 4 yrs, everytime i actually get into study/focus mode, my nose starts running, and also my eyes get watery. like water just comes out of my nose and eyes. Like 10-15mins after reading a textbook, this happens. I tried researching about it, but nothing helped. Hope someone might know the reason to this.
|

replied August 29th, 2011
Same thing here. I have sinus problems and i was wondering since the brain needs quite a lot of oxygen when at work, it makes us yawn (one way of getting more oxygen) and makes the nose run (in my case), so that both nostrils are open and can absorb the maximum amount of oxygen.

I noticed that the more oxygen i'm getting, the better i work. Maybe it's the answer but we need quantitative data at the moment to work on it. so, tell us your symptoms and maybe we'll cure ourselves.
|

replied November 4th, 2013
I have the exact same problem. This has significantly affect my ability to study. Whenever I got into the focus mode, my nose starts to run and my eyes starts to water. I just thought about googling for it, and found the discussion here.
Another thing I have noticed is that I felt coolness on my forehead (this is just a feeling, my forehead is warm) and also my nose will cool down.
|

User Profile
replied January 23rd, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
This could be due to allergy or post nasal drip.
I would suggest you to take decongestant and look for the response.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.