User Profile
Heya.
I'm 15 and when I was seven I was prescribed an inhaler after I had a terrible asthma attack after being around farm animals. Sounds silly, but I lived across the road from a farm and I was apparently allergic to their animals. This sucked for me because I loved animals like no other. but anyway, the doctor told me to carry around my inhaler everywhere I went, just to be safe.
When I turned 11 I started running track and playing basketball for my school. I ran long distance but I always had to stop to catch my breath and was wheezy, so I told my mom about it. She took me to the doctor and he told me not only did I get asthma from allergies, but that I also had exercise induced asthma. So here I was not being able to run long distance anymore AND not be around animals.

Sooo I was walking with my uncle one day(who also has asthma) and he told me if I ran slowly without using my inhaler my lungs would eventually get stronger and heal on their own. I tried it for about three weeks and didn't notice any improvement. So I guess my question is, can running without an inhaler (even though you kinda need it) make your lungs stronger and heal on their own? Thanks!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper trackrunner12345
|

User Profile
replied April 12th, 2010
i was born with asthma, and I''m 23 now. I''m allergic to practically everything outside as well. I have allergy and exercise induced asthma as well.

The albuterol helped my breathing for running, and I used to take a puff before to help prevent and attack once in a while. I started to always need the inhaler. so i tried to suffer through it a few times. you have to watch how hard you push yourself of course, but I started to rely on it less and less. Then there was a season where I didn''t take it at all...
|
Users who thank thedamon for this post: directed2ice 

replied November 20th, 2010
there are many olymic athletes who had EIA. keep training and running and it will only get better. be sure to always have your inhailer with you just in case. be patiant. it may take time.
|
Must Read
Asthma affects more than 22 million Americans. But what happens during a respiratory asthma attack? Learn the basics about asthma now....
Some people are more likely than other to be diagnosed with asthma. Learn if you are at risk of asthma in this section on risk factors and causes of asthma....
How can you identify the signs and symptoms of asthma or respiratory problems? We list the common asthma symptoms here and discuss asthma problems....