Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

running after furion surgery

I had a fusion, and 4 screws put into my lower back, about 5 months ago. I have been running since then but I am having a very hard time running any more than 2 miles. Will this change over time or is 2 miles the most I will ever be able to run.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 17th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
Hello Smike,

Welcome to this forum!!

Smike, I about flipped when I read that you are running 2 miles after only 5 months postop your fusion.

Does your surgeon know you are doing this? Has he/she approved of this?

I am not a doctor, but common sense tells me that you are pushing yourself well beyond what you should be doing. It can take up to a year for the fusion really to be "established".

RichT
|

replied July 18th, 2008
Back pain
The surgeon, almost flipped when I told him my army docter told me I could run and play sports, as well as ride a bike as long as it didnt cause to much pain. And it doesnt as long as I dont push myself to hard. Im going with the surgeon, he did say It will take a year bto heal. I knew I should slow down.
Thanks
|

replied July 21st, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
Hello Smike,

WELLLLlll, that makes two of us who "flipped".

YES, do go with the advice of your surgeon. I'm glad you understand the necessity for you to go slow. Our minds think our bodies are ready to roll much MUCH faster than it REALLY takes our bodies to heal.

SLOW and a lot of PATIENCE.

Take care.

RichT

P.S. - I don't dare tell you on this forum what I think of your Army doctor.
|

replied August 6th, 2008
Ouch!
I agree with Rich T. I hurt just reading your post! Have you thought about riding a bike? After about a year of taking it easy?
C
|
Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...