Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

Roux goldwaithe knee procedure

Iam now 10 days post op from having a roux goldwaithe knee procedure. Iam in a long leg brace. My doc told me I can weight bear as tolerated. There is no way I can WT bear at all. For the most part it's been ok, but twice now I have gotten up and I experience the most excrutiating pain to the medial aspect of my knee feeling like I pulled and twisted it. The last time it happened it was totally unexpected and that horrible pain lasted for 6 ugly hours with medication on board. I would have gone to the hospital but honestly I just couldn't make it down the stairs. I am now totally freaked that this will happen again. It's scary!!! Iam 44 years old and no wimp, but I can't do that again. Is this normal to experience this kind of pain occassionally? Is
It normal not to be able to weight bear yet? I feel like iam not moving along very well. Wish now I hadn't had this surgery! Please tell me this is going to get better PLEASE!! The incision looks fine. Still lots of swelling around the knee and lots of bruising. It's just so so weak and sore. I would love to hear from anyone. Never done this before...Iam desperate!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 21st, 2009
Community Volunteer
Yes, it is going to get better...Our son had this done when he was 22 years old...He lived with a lot of pain like you had before this surgery...He was born without a complete patella, but instead three pieces of it...It was painful...After the surgery when he tried to walk he just about passed out...I recall when they cut the cast off and took out the stitches, it was more than painful...It took him a long time to recover, however for him it was worth it...The next Summer he threw a perfect baseball ball as his leg was that strong...You will be fine...Judge yourself by the week and not by the day...Push yourself, but be kind to yourself...Age is not in your favor...It was for him...Good luck and the bruising and swelling is normal...Ibuprofen is great for this if the doctor allows it...It is anti-inflammatory....Do take care...

Caroline
|

replied October 22nd, 2009
Thank you for actually reading and responding back!! Iam a little better in the pain area thank goodness! I still can't put any pressure on that foot and even though Iam still in this brace/cast (now for almost 3 weeks and 3 more weeks to go). My knee still feels so loose inspite of this thing I wear. My husband thinks it's all in my head:(
After 3 weeks was your son able to put a bit of pressure down at least?? And after 6 weeks was he walking without crutches??
I can't believe Iam asking a total stranger for help but I don't live in a big community and the surgeon doesn't even live here. He was no help with post op expectations at all.
Iam glad to hear a success story about your son! Thank you again!
Gwen
|

User Profile
replied October 22nd, 2009
Community Volunteer
Hi again Gwen:

No he was not walking without crutches after 6 weeks...He used them in fear of falling...Each surgery is different...I believe at that time that he was still in therapy....If I recall one of the most painful part's of this surgery was the upper muscles in his leg just above his knee, that they severed...Possibly they do this surgery different now than they did then...

It took a lot of work to get his leg strong again....Like you, he, too, knew pain...I am sure with your being slightly older than he was is a handicap...However, I am sure that you will do great...Good luck and if I can be of any help, just write...

I wish you well...

Caroline
|
Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....