Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Skin Forum

Rough patch of skin on foot

User Profile
I'm a gamer, so I don't go outside too often, and don't really use shoes around my house, about a year ago I noticed a really rough patch of skin on my foot, I have never gone to see a doctor about it thinking it was only temporary, but it has never gone away, and I'm wondering what might be causing it?

I don't wear shoes often or anything on my feet, so it's not related to friction, unless it was and the area never cleared up?

The patch doesn't seem to change or spread at all, it's always the same. There is 4 little lines (Looks almost like animal scratch-marks, and it seems around the lines are the really rough areas... (Possible an animal scratched me and left some type of infection behind and I never noticed?) The lines are not deep at all, they only seem to be a few skin layers deep and have be slightly elevated on the sides. It seems that the skin gets softer as it gets further away from the lines aswell...

Any ideas on what the issue might be?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 24th, 2017
Skin Answer A61764
Welcome to e health forum.

Most likely the issue you have mentioned is hyperkeratosis of the skin.

Hyperkeratosis is a thickening of the outer layer of the skin.

The outer layer contains a tough, protective protein called keratin. This skin thickening is often part of the skin's normal protection against rubbing, pressure and other forms of local irritation. It causes calluses and corns on hands and feet.

But a few conditions including - skin warts, chronic eczema, lichen planus, etc, hyperkeratotic lesions can occur in normal non irritated conditions too.

If the lesions are limited and asymptomatic, you can just wait and watch. If the lesions are expanding slowly or rapidly and associated with itching, irritation, inflammatory changes then consulting a dermatologist at the earliest would be recommended.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and myth...plus who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Skin , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.