Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hair Loss, Hair Disorders Forum

rogaine, FUE transplantation and hairline lowering...

User Profile
Hi,
I have always had thin hair and a high hairline. I have always hated it as it looks like its receding (when in fact there was never hair there to start with). I have heard about rogaine and was wondering whether this would thicken my hair and/or grow hair on my forehead to bring my hairline forward. I have also heard about FUE transplantation and hairline lowering surgery. Are these procedures in the uk and/or on the nhs and how would i go about obtaining them. Also i was wondering if there were any other medications, creams, treatments that you could recommend before going down the surgical route?
Thanks.

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile DoctorQuestion
|

User Profile
replied May 24th, 2012
Hair Loss, Hair Disorders Answer A35274
Hello,

Welcome to ehealthforum and thanks for writing

Receding hair line from front and in a male is mainly genetic but sometimes hormonal imbalance like overproduction of dihydrotestosterone and thyroid hormones irregularities also play an important role.There are many medications to improve hair loss like finasteride, dutasteride and topically applied minoxidil but these are available only under prescription and are to be used after ruling out other causes of hair loss.

I would suggest you to visit a Trichologist and get clinical assessment and investigations done so that other causes can be ruled out.These are:
1)Iron studies and thyroid function tests

2)Testosterone and dihydrotestosterone levels

3)Trichoscopy (in this hair and scalp structures may be visualized at many-fold magnification)

4)Scalp biopsy

Give your diet an overhaul if you're lacking vital nutrients for growth and switch to foods for healthy hair like food rich in protein, vitamins(mainly vit A and vit C) and other micronutrient like zinc, iron and copper.Surgery is an option for hair transplantation but at such a young age personally I would not recommend you.Regarding the procedures in UK I am sorry I do not have any idea regarding that.
Rogaine what you have mentioned contains Minoxidil which I have explained previously.Kindly use it under Medical Supervision as it has associated side effects.

Take care!

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Hair loss affects more than half of the population by age 60. Start here for basic info on hair loss and types of hair loss that doctors can diagnose....
What causes hair loss? Read on for a complete list of possible causes so that you can evaluate and identify hair loss causes....
Do you know the early signs of hair loss? And when does hair loss require medical attention? Get better results for treating hair loss by identifying it early....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hair Loss, Hair Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.