Medical Questions > Cancer > Cancers Forum

4 rock hard lumps/knots under my scalp.....cancer???

Must Read
Millions of Americans are diagnosed with cancer. But what exactly is cancer and how does it affect the body?...
What puts you at risk for developing cancer? Learn how you can avoid or reduce exposure to risk factors for cancer here....
Cancer can occur anywhere in the body. But what are the signs and symptoms of cancer? Learn about general symptoms of cancer here....
I have 4 very hard lumps/knots, different sizes on my scalp. They don't move and over the years are growing larger thought the orignal lump has stayed the same size. I found my 1st one when I was very young, about 10 years after that I asked the doctor about the one and he said it was a cyst. He didn't feel it or anything. Well over the past 10+ years I have developed 3 more. And i'm not even joking when I say I have horns on the top of my head Sad They usually don't hurt, but they stick out so far it's hard not to mess with them and they start to hurt. Sometimes they have fevers in them but I get bad headaches and sometimes they hurt on their own. I'm petrified I have tumors/cancer and am to scared to go to the doctor.
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied December 26th, 2011
Hello and welcome to e health forum. ‎

It is difficult to analyse a skin condition without a complete medical history and a visual ‎‎‎examination of the lesion. ‎

Lumps seen in the body can be due to causes including - common benign conditions as well as severe ‎conditions like €Žcancer and chronic diseases. Symptoms like persistent fever, weight loss, night sweats along with multiple enlarged, painless lymph ‎‎nodes may indicate conditions like lymphoma or cancer‎.

The description of the lumps given by you indicate them to be a sebaceous cysts. These cysts are less common, and they arise from the glands that secrete oily matter that lubricates hair and skin (sebaceous glands). Slow-growing and often painless, they rarely cause problems or need treatment. If the appearance of the cyst bothers you, or if the cyst ruptures or becomes infected, it can be surgically removed.

For proper diagnosis and specific treatment, you might consult with a dermatologist, who can ‎‎examine you and provide a proper advice.‎

Did you find this post helpful?

replied October 15th, 2012
what type of cancer could cause lumps on head and swollen lymph nodes behind ear?
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Cancers , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.