Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Wound Care Forum

road rash with gravel imbedded in my skin

I took a digger on my bike 4 days ago. For the the most part it seems to be healing well. However, tonight I pulled out a piece of gravel that was imbedded deep into the worst part of arm. Now I am worried there maybe more imbedded.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 24th, 2013
Especially eHealthy
di101,

It is possible that you could have some more pieces of gravel and dirt in the wound.

About all you can do is keep your wounds as clean as you can. Probably the easiest way to do this is to get into a shower and lather up the area with soap and water.

If you want to put some antibiotic ointment on the wound, that is okay. But, be sure to only put on a thin layer. And, you need to wash it off daily, to clean the wound. Do not just keep adding new layers of ointment, as that can actually trap bacteria under it.

As to any retained gravel, if any, one of two things will happen. The body will "spit" it out. When this occurs, usually a small pocket of purulent material forms around the foreign body (pus). Then, the pus will drain, removing the foreign body along with the drainage.

Or, the body will "wall" the foreign body off by making a rind of scar tissue around it. No infection will occur. The foreign body will be retained by the body, inside this rind of scar tissue.

If you are really concerned that you may have some retained gravel, you can see your family physician. An x-ray will usually show if there is any pieces of gravel still in the wound.

Good luck.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply