Medical Questions > Mental Health > ADD and ADHD Forum

Ritalin is like cocaine

JUST LIKE COCAINE

Ritalin is often referred to as "Kiddie Cocaine" for good reason. Long-
term Ritalin effects have been linked to brain development
abnormalities similar to those found with cocaine use.

The Journal of the American Medical Association, one of American's
leading medical journals, published an article entitled "Ritalin Acts
Much Like Cocaine."

An Archives of General Psychiatry report states; "Cocaine has
pharmacological actions that are very similar to those of
methylphenidate (Ritalin), which is now the most commonly prescribed
psychotropic medicine for children in the U.S."

DEA data on methylphenidate and amphetamine for the treatment of ADD
symptoms shows:

* That methylphenidate (Ritalin, Concerta) and amphetamine
(Adderall, Dexedrine) produce effects similar to cocaine in laboratory
animals and in humans.
* In clinical studies, methylphenidate and amphetamine produce
behavioral and psychological effects similar to cocaine.
* In simple terms, this data means that the human body cannot tell
the difference between cocaine, amphetamine, or Ritalin.

Ritalin effects children the same way related stimulants like cocaine
effect adults. Just as predictably, children are subject to Ritalin
side effects, as adults are subject to the side effects of cocaine and
other stimulant drugs.

There is also evidence that early childhood
exposure to Ritalin does diminish adult nerve cell development.

(Many children are prescribed drugs such as Ritalin, Paxil,
Resperdal, etc., for their symptoms which may mask the symptoms and
not remedy the underlying causes.)

IRONICALLY, OUR SOCIETY IMPRISONS PEOPLE FOR MANUFACTURING DRUGS SIMILAR TO THE DRUGS PHYSICIANS COMMONLY PRESCRIBE TO MILLIONS OF CHILDREN....
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 16th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Do some more studying into neurobiology. While what you say may be true of some people (long term studies?) the neurotransmission of children with mental disorders is deficient. The effects of stimulant medications is different on these individuals. This is clearly seen in PET scans and MRI studies. Due to the difference in the production of neurotransmitters people with mental disorders have different reactions to stimulant and antipsychotic medications than a person with "normal" brain chemistry. Structural anomalies are present in the prefrontal cortex, the amygdala, and other areas of the limbic system. You are comparing apples and oranges. If scientists could cure the etiologies of these disorders, medications would not be needed. Neurobiology and neuroscience are making significant headway into mental disorders and neuro disorders but these fields of study are just now being pioneered. To allow children to suffer the effects of a mental disorder and not use medication is allowing the child to suffer. Should we not treat arthritis or high cholesterol due to side effects and possible long term effects of the medications used for these illnesses? Furthermore, there is evidence with bipolar disorder that shows brain damage occurs when the disorder is left untreated. So our choices are limited. Do you have any constructive advice to offer or are you just here to cause people anxiety and be a doomsayer?
|

replied March 17th, 2008
sorry sweetie... The TRUTH is hard to swallow isn't it? I have been studying this stuff and doing my research... it is unfortunate people like you believe that crap.... my sister was adhd and i know of many children and adults with mental disorders..... do NOT mention psychiatry, that is a market of death... get your head out of your arse...ritalin is a c2 narcotic.... it literally IS SPEED .... AND YES, IT WILL HAVE THE SAME EFFECT ON THE BODY......go study a little
|

replied April 6th, 2012
has your opinion changed?
i just came across this site almost 4 years after you wrote it. please do tell, has your opinion changed? i have no opinion what so ever to your beliefs so please answer me honestly.
|

replied March 17th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Yes, I do study. I have a degree in the medical field and I am currently studying neurobiology. The truth is that you have only half facts. I will not deny the downfalls of the medications available to treat mental disorders. I see it, live with it and have to deal with it. Again, while this is not an exact science there is progress being made. What alternatives are there? Natural remedies? Tried MANY. I keep trying to find the right combination, the right dose, the thing that will bring peace to my son's tortured mind. Ritalin is a schedule 2 drug - not a narcotic. It is not an opiate based drug. Schedule 2 medications simply mean they are more closely regulated. The effects of the stimulant drugs are minimal when used properly. The danger comes with abuse of these substances. Tachycardia and arrhythmias that are associated with stimulant drugs are greatly decreased with proper doses. Street speed is a derivation of these medications and have other chemical components that render them very dangerous not to mention the concentration of the stimulant in the street drug. Why are you so condescending? That is not necessary and in poor taste. Again, do you have anything constructive to add to this forum? People come here to find support and assistance. Bringing fear and half information benefits nobody. You sound as if you have issues with psychiatry. Bad experience?
|

User Profile
replied March 17th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
nmangelfire-
Maybe this would be better to bring up in the general debate forum if you wish to continue debating it?

Antigone was right, this part of the forum is for support and help only!! But you are welcome to bring your opinions to the debate forum.
|

replied March 17th, 2008
I totally understand.... No problem. I just want people to be aware of these things. Do not always trust what doctors and psychiatrists tell you. I just want people to realize this.... you do not know the number of people who have suffered.... I have had my own experience and know of many others as well.... But I understand what you are saying and will continue what I have to say in the general debate forum... take care Wink
|

User Profile
replied March 17th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
thanks yes
|

replied May 8th, 2008
this is to all the ignorant haters..
I'm sick of hearing and reading about what people are saying about adderall. SHUT THE FRIK UP all of you! its a prescription medication for psychological disorders. its not some rave drug. gah daing. just because youve heard of "few" people abusing it and going off the top with it doesnt mean thats what it's purpose is! jeez! a medication is a medication, its not anyone's business except the prescribed person's. im serious, ive taken this med for years, i havent experienced any of the crud you guys are saying about it, all of the med bashing yall are doing is mainly out of spite and really bad assumptions and it kind of sounds like maybe yall have some kind of hypochondriac issues towards certain meds. every type of med has some media hype on it. adderall has a lot because its a class II controlled substance, big frreekinging deal. if schitzophrenia or diabetes or arthritis medications had CII written on its label they would probably have the same med bashing hype like adderall does, but it doesnt mean the meds are bad, its just that people are very negative and like to 'hate' on things they dont know too much about. stop hating and bashing these medications. just because the word amphetamine has a very miniscule irrelevant background and/or history does not mean anything, adderall is ONLY derived from amphetamines.. its not meth and its not something to get high off of and it doesnt destroy everyone's life. so shut up and if you want to bash on something how about you get all the facts and stop blurting out your useless opinions and stop trying to "scare" everyone.
|

replied May 8th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Jennifer I hear what you are saying. It is unfair that people feel it is their business to give half truths as gospel truth. Any mental disorder seems to be fair game for ridicule on one level or another. I guess growing thick skin is the only way to not feel offended. You must live by your own convictions and ignore the people that get satisfaction from ridiculing, belittling, and bashing others.
|

replied April 26th, 2012
I beg to differ. It feels more like meth. I once took 23 20mg ritalin SR and had severe paranoia. I hear stories that meth users often are jumpy.
|

replied April 26th, 2012
Thank you for reminding us that this site is to provide support, not fear.
It seems that it is always people without a related medical conditions that spread the negative view.

I have narcolepsy and take Concerta; without it, I have no quality of life. Please consider that people on this drug have not chosen to have a problem. My son is on Ritalin for ADHD. Admittedly before having children, I thought the whole thing was gobbledygook . We had an extensive study done. However, I do feel that ADD and ADHD have been diagnosed by a quick visit to the doctors office. It has to be much more intensivr.

The person who posted the Cocaine story scared the living daylights
|

replied May 6th, 2012
Ritalin is not similar to cocaine in any way, shape, or form. Not from a human biological standpoint anyway. Maybe in rats, but then...who cares? Ritalin is for children with ADD and ADHD. It is on the weak side of ADD drugs with Desoxyn being the strongest. Cocaine is a powerful psycho-stimulant. Ritalin is referred to as "kiddy cocaine" because Ritalin was originally for children with ADD, and it is a weak stimulant. That's it. Nothing more, nothing less. Study up on human neuroscience and brain chemistry and cocaine, then compare your findings to Ritalin and you will see for yourself. The human brain can define cocaine from Ritalin from amphetamine. This is why they all make you feel differently. Comparing Ritalin to cocaine, is like comparing coffee to methamphetamine or Desoxyn. Not even close...
|

replied July 3rd, 2013
Ritalin is referred to as kiddie-cocaine but trust me no stimulant works normally on an ADHD person. I have ADHD and I do take methylphenidate daily. Speed? Maybe for some. For me it calms me down, and I may as well go to sleep after it. It does make me a bit drowsy but at least I don't have a train of thoughts and run around for hours. For once when I am on meds I don't get to the point of exhaustion and I remember to eat. Without it I get distracted and don't even remember. I'm no expert but I don't think this is what normal people get after ritalin, amphetamines or cocaine. There is no high in it for me even in bigger doses, just some tachycardia if its too much. And MRIs prove it, ADHD patients don't produce enough neurotransmitters on their own which is why stimulants barely balance it out.

Can you get high from Ritalin? Probably yes. But don't count on it if you really have ADHD because it's more probable you'd go for a nap than get an energy boost.
|
Must Read
Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (AD/HD) is a neurobiological disorder that can interfere in a person's daily life. Learn more about ADHD basics here....
Have doctors found an exact cause of ADHD? Do biological factors or genes have anything to do with it? More on causes and risks of ADHD development here....
What are the symptoms of ADHD and when do they first present? We outline the principal characteristics of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder to help you...