Im new to the forum I have an 11 year old severe autistic son, learning
difficulties.

My son has been taking risperdone medication for anxiety and rages. It
has been really great for him as i just couldnt cope any longer with the
rages and anxiety. He has been on a very low dose of 0.5mg originally
started out on this after 4 weeks doing great so pschiatrist
decided to lower it to 0.4mg the day i reduced this and my son
went to school, teacher noted their was a change in his behaviour
and the old 'traits' were coming back before he started this med.

So im just wondering would a 1mg change make a difference to
behaviours and anxiety.

Does anyone have experience with their child taking risperdone,
i would appreciate any replies.

Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper caringfriendoflupus
|

User Profile
replied September 26th, 2008
Supporter
Risperdone dosage depends upon age and weight, so I imagine that a slight change in the dose (even .1 mg) can alter the treatment results.

In a study about personalized dosing, a team from the Univeristy of Kentucky found that the tolerance of Risperdone and the need for higher dosing is not totally understood --- other brain receptors, such as other dopamine, serotonin, and adrenergic receptors may explain the need for higher doses.

I hope this helps!

More info

http://psy.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/conten t/abstract/49/3/258
http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/risperid _cp.htm#CS
|

replied September 26th, 2008
Thanks rooted for reply and info!
|

replied March 26th, 2009
Risperdal vs. Risperdone
Has anyone else made the switch from Risperdal to Risperdone? If so, have you seen a difference in your child?
|

User Profile
replied May 27th, 2009
Experienced User
I have never heard of Risperdone. Risperdal is actually the trade name for the drug Risperidone, so they are one and the same. My son takes Risperdal - only 1ml twice a day, and it has been an absolute godsend. Without it he can become impossible to live with. Unfortunately it has been responsible for a major gain in weight, but I guess nothing is perfect. Fat is better than violence!
|

replied August 13th, 2010
Experienced User
I am of the opinion that respiradal is good for anxiety and violence. However, you also need to work out what is causing the jealousies that makes someone anxious/violent in the first place. For example, when I was younger (and even still happens now) whenever I used to invite my best friend to my house my younger sister used to take over and eventually my best friend used to hang around with me at school but hang around with my younger sister when I invited her back. Now this provoked all sorts of questions in my head that I never discussed with anyone - I had feelings of unfairness, jealousy and feeling scared of going to school as it was difficult to make other friends because my best friend was always there. Gradually the situation became a little better as my younger sister moved away from home and made seperate friends there, however she has no local friends so as soon as shes visiting my parents house, whether my parents are home or not, she's visiting my best friend (haha! can hardly call her that the trouble/aggrevation she's caused me hanging round with my younger sister. As well as the obvious feelings of inadequacy, jealousy and feeling of anxiety going to school. When I was 20, I fell very ill with schizophrenia where i was even extremely scared of going outside my bedroom to the bathroom, downstairs to eat or even out the house, I had troubles completing my degree I was doing then because I could not concerntrate and had memory problems.

So my advice to you is, please please if you have more than one sibling, even if they/re in the same year group or 1,2 3 years apart they must have seperate friends for there not to be any jealous feelings or anxiety caused by the friend situation. Other factors that create jealousy and therefore violence may be one behaving like they are being treated superior to the other sibling even though all your attention is shared evenly amongsth them. There may be more going on between the siblings than you are aware of, for example your child on respiradal may be not sleeping properly or may not be able to relax in your environment. His brother/sister may constantly be asking him questions and not leaving him alone to get on with his own activities and making his own fun. The child may need one-to-one help for studying to get good marks and make good development. I would tackle these issues soon and ask for help from a psciatrist to try and deal with everything surrounding it.
|
Must Read
Start to understand this serious developmental disorder here. We review causes of autism, risk factors for development and other related health conditions...
Researchers believe that environmental and genetic reasons cause autism. But what group(s) are more at risk than others? Autism causes and risk factors here....
Main symptoms of autism involve communication, behavior and social difficulties - but when do these appear? and what symptoms are truly caused by autism?...