My psa level has risen from 2.5 in Jan.2009 to 3.9 in July 2010. I am taking blood pressure meds. a diuretic, and meds for high cholesterol. I am 58 yrs old, 6ft 195lbs. I am otherwise in good health. I also ride my bicycle approx. 120 mil. per week. I have done so for several years. My Urologist wants me to have a biopsy. It this advisable or can I wait a while and follow my psas
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied August 21st, 2010
Has your Urologist performed an ultrasound of your prostate gland? If so, and he/she is concerned about the appearance of your prostate gland, then a biopsy might be warranted. If not, then you might ask your Urologist if an ultrasound is indicated.

You might also take a break, for a couple of weeks, from riding your bicycle, and have your PSA level rechecked at that time.

Ultimately, as I am not involved in your medical care, my best advice is to follow your doctor's recommendations!

Sincerely/ Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
Did you find this post helpful?

replied November 16th, 2010
That does seem like a big increase in a short period of time, but it could well be due to the medication you're taking. Heavy exercise can also increase PSA levels so if you'd been cycling the day before the test, for example, that might have had an effect. Even so, it's probably worth knowing for sure so maybe have another test after a couple of days rest and see if the result is the same. If it is further tests are a good idea.

Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Millions of men experience prostate problems every year. But what defines prostate enlargement and how does the prostate grow as it enlarges?...
What puts a man at risk of having an enlarged prostate? And what causes the prostate to grow in the first place? Answer your questions here....
An enlarged prostate rarely occur before a man is 40. Learn the signs and symptoms BEFORE they occur. And know when to seek help for bothersome symptoms....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Prostate Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.