Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Epilepsy Forum

right side seems to try and raise itself !

User Profile
hi I need some help please. The last 4 nights when i go to bed just before i almost fall asleep my right arm starts making large uncontrollable movements flaying way up in the air and slamming dowm my whole right side seems to try and raise itself . I cannot sleep and this last for hours. If I get up it stops but as soon as I lay down it starts again. I have just had a hip arthroscopy done (right side) 4 weeks ago could a nerve have been damaged? I was also taking TARGINACT for the last 6 months and have now stopped HELP PLEASE!!!

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 9th, 2011
Epilepsy Answer A20634
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
You seem concerned by the uncontrollable jerky movements of right arm for the last 4 nights. You have also made a mention of having taken Targinact for the last 6 months and now having stopped the same.
There is a possibility of Huntington's disease in your case as quick, sudden, sometimes wild jerking movements of the arms, legs, face, and other body parts are a feature of Huntington's in addition to other symptoms like paranoia, unsteady gait, dementia in the background of family history. MRI Brain is indicated in your case to rule out this possibility and other causes of chorea shall also be considered like Wilson disease; drug-induced tardive dyskinesia; Sydenham's chorea; systemic lupus erythematosus etc.
If this medicine (Targinact) is taken for prolonged periods of time, the body can become tolerant to it and it may become less effective at relieving pain. This means that with time, higher doses may be needed to control pain. With prolonged use, the body may also become dependent on the medicine and, as a result, you may get withdrawal symptoms if it is stopped suddenly. For this reason, when a person no longer needs this medicine it may be necessary to reduce it gradually to avoid withdrawal symptoms in the form of restlessness etc.
You must consult your personal physician for definitive diagnosis as the same is not possible online.
Hope this helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Click here to learn more about what causes epilepsy and the different types of epilepsy. Start here to learn about the basics of this type of brain disorder. ...
Get the facts on epilepsy types. Identify signs & symptoms of epilepsy. We outline different types of epileptic seizures so you know when to seek help....
How can you know if you're having an epileptic seizure? We outline how doctors clinically diagnose epilepsy and other seizures here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Epilepsy , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.