Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

right side lower sacral area is noticeably bigger than left.

User Profile
Just about a month ago I noticed pain in my right lower sacral area (S5 right around the cornu). The right side is noticeably bigger than the left. The pain is very mild and only experienced when have sitting down half laying down position, where weight is directly put on that area. There is no pain from pressure from my fingers. Any ideas what may be causing this ? Thanks

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 20th, 2015
Back Pain Answer A51505
Welcome to e health forum.

The pain you are experiencing could be described as Coccydynia (Tail Bone Pain).

Coccyx pain can occur from local trauma, fracture, Dislocation or sprains or the tail bone, inflammation of the cartilage or the soft tissues.

It would be recommended that you consult a doctor and seek a physical examination and proper treatment.

In the mean time you can use medications like advil or Naprosyn to seek some pain relief. Use of Cushions (Doughnut or wedge cushions) while you sit will also help.
If the pain is chronic, Injections of local anesthetic into the area might be recommended. In extreme or severe cases your doctor might recommend surgery to remove the coccyx bone (Coccygectomy).

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Back Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.